i started meditation

  • hitedevin88
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2009
      i have been meditating for 2 days. 20 minutes a day.

      listening to music, relaxing music.

      i feel the breath getting shorter and shorter when im doing it.

      and i had a little flash of white light. which im not sure about, the lights were off. and eyes were closed.

      also. does this get easier the more you do it? i havent felt any tension release while doing it. and a video i watched says you start to feel iching sensations or pain, which i have felt neither.

      can anyone explain a little bit of this to me?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2009
        "hitedevin88" <hitedevin88@...> wrote:

        > i have been meditating for 2 days. 20 minutes a day.
        >
        > listening to music, relaxing music.
        >
        > i feel the breath getting shorter and shorter when im doing it.
        >
        > and i had a little flash of white light. which im not sure about, the lights were off. and eyes were closed.
        >
        > also. does this get easier the more you do it? i havent felt any tension release while doing it. and a video i watched says you start to feel iching sensations or pain, which i have felt neither.
        >
        > can anyone explain a little bit of this to me?

        Yo Devin,
        There is no doubt that you will be experiencing many
        new and varied things as you continue to meditate. As
        was mentioned in another post, sometimes music can be
        a help in getting into a meditative mode, but it can
        also be a distraction. Here's an article that I think
        originally appeared in our newsletter, The Inner Traveler.
        I think its main idea is that we need to keep focused.
        I hope the concepts it shares will be beneficial towards
        that (wonder-full) end (and beginning).
        Pleasant Meditation Distraction Traps
        The more you meditate, the more meditation can
        become the most interesting thing you ever and
        never imagined. This is because your mind will
        present incredible things to distract you in its
        effort to remain your master, and you its slave.
        There is a scientific reality and perspective
        that states that we are not what our limited
        senses perceive. For instance, we aren't "really"
        solid. It just seems that way because that's the
        way our eyes work. We are atomic and pre-atomic
        energy in motion. If we had Electron Microscope
        and Hubbell Telescope quality vision, it would
        be apparent that we are infinite in nature and
        taking part in a never-ending interaction with
        everything everywhere. We are not lone drops apart
        from the ocean, but rather a part of the ocean.
        So, it seems we are hard wired, or were wired
        early in life, to buy into an illusionary perception
        of our environment. Our mind's impressions have
        completely dominated our view of who we are, and
        what reality is. And so, our initial attempts at
        meditation can by quite disappointing, and it
        may seem that all we can do is react in habitual
        fashion, and are unable to achieve a consistent
        focus on what wee intend to pay attention to.
        Initially, your mind may be able to distract you
        by something as simple as an itch, a memory, a
        feeling of happiness, etc. But as you get steadier
        in your meditation, and don't react to your
        sense perceptions, memories, emotions, and so
        on, your mind will loose its grip, and reality
        will present itself. And you will feel, see, and
        know the awe of transcendent in-sight. Often,
        your mind will then try to distract you, and
        regain the mastery over you, by letting you see
        more and more spectacular visions and have more
        and more seemingly evolving understandings. That
        awareness within, that is ever-present, and
        silently perceives all the changes your mind,
        body, and emotions put you through is your
        inner Witness, and that is your Real Self. Your
        mind's game plan is to keep you in a state of
        "Gee Whiz!!!" and not recognize what is ever
        before you, and that is your oneness with your
        Witness and its oneness with all and everything.
        That Realization comes from Grace and Grace
        alone. It is not a byproduct of meditation, but
        there may be no better way to remove the
        obstacles that delay this awakening than
        meditation. So, enjoy the inner and outer light
        shows, the arm (and even whole body) levitations,
        and so on, but don't get caught in the "seeking
        after more and more spectacular versions of them"
        trap. The first two steps in meditation are
        dispassion and discrimination. Seek what is
        eternal, not transitory; the essence, not the
        superficial. This is discrimination. And don't
        get wound up with too much jubilation when you
        have beautiful visions, or disappointment when
        you don't. This is dispassion. Sit in meditation
        without expectation. Simply Witness. When not
        sitting in meditation, witness your life as an
        ongoing meditation. Persevere. The universe and
        its source and support will presently present
        you with the ultimate present. And You will be
        present. And you will live happily ever after.