Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 199 , Nov 28, 2009
      Why We Practice Yoga

      "Normally, the mind is supposed to be like a
      lake without any waves. Once a desire goes into
      the mind, it is something like a stone falling
      into a lake. Once the stone falls in, it creates
      a depression. Simultaneously, when a depression
      is created, a crest forms. That is why, very
      often, you say, `Oh, I am very depressed.'
      Knowingly or unknowingly, you even use the
      appropriate words. What's more, to get out of
      the depression, you try filling it with things.
      Then once you fill it up, what happens? You come
      back to the original level. The depression is
      filled and you no longer feel depressed. Learning
      how to keep the stones from falling into the mind
      is why we practice Yoga.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      There is a new web site that may interest you:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      http://asktheswami.com/
    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)