Great Story and Unexpected Ending Commentary

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2009
      I'm posting this just as I received a minute ago in an email.
      Thanks, John for the wisdom.
      Thinking "Out of the Box"

      Many hundreds of years ago in a small Italian town,
      a merchant had the misfortune of owing a large su
      m of money to the moneylender. The moneylender, who
      was old and ugly, fancied the merchant's beautiful
      daughter so he proposed a bargain. He said he would
      forgo the merchant' debt if he could marry the
      merchant's daughter. Both the merchant and his
      daughter were horrified by the proposal. The cunning
      money lender suggested that they let providence
      decide the matter.

      The moneylender told them that he would put a black
      pebble and a white pebble into an empty bag. The
      girl would then have to pick one pebble from the
      bag. If she picked the black pebble, she would
      become the moneylender's wife and her father's debt
      would be forgiven. If she picked the white pebble
      she need not marry him and her father's debt would
      still be forgiven. But if she refused to pick a
      pebble, her father would be thrown into jail.

      They were standing on a pebble strewn path in the
      merchant's garden. As they talked, the moneylender
      bent over to pick up two pebbles. As he picked
      them up, the sharp-eyed girl noticed that he had
      picked up two black pebbles and put them into the
      bag. He then asked the girl to pick her pebble
      from the bag.

      Now, imagine you were standing in the merchant's
      garden. What would you have done if you were the
      girl? If you had to advise her, what would you
      have told her? Careful analysis would produce
      three possibilities:

      1. The girl should refuse to take a pebble.

      2. The girl should show that there were two
      black pebbles in the bag and expose the moneylender
      as a cheat.

      3. The girl should pick a black pebble and sacrifice
      herself in order to save her father from his debt
      and imprisonment.

      Take a moment to ponder over the story. The above
      story is used with the hope that it will make us
      appreciate the difference between lateral and
      logical thinking. The girl's dilemma cannot be
      solved with traditional logical thinking.

      Think of the consequences if she chooses the
      logical answers.

      What would you recommend the girl do?

      The girl put her hand into the moneybag and drew
      out a pebble. Without looking at it, she fumbled
      and let it fall onto the pebble-strewn path where
      it immediately became lost among all the other
      pebbles.

      "Oh, how clumsy of me," she said. "But never mind,
      if you look into the bag for the one that is left,
      you will be able to tell which pebble I picked."

      Since the remaining pebble is black, it must be
      assumed that she had picked the white one. And
      since the moneylender dared not admit his dishonesty,
      the girl changed what seemed an impossible situation
      into an extremely advantageous one.

      MORAL OF THE STORY: Most complex problems do have
      a solution, sometimes we have to think about them
      in a different way.

      P.S. Go EAGLES !!!