Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
      The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
      very ancient handle materials. One is from
      mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
      30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
      and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
      years old.
      As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
      a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
      when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
      or in the company of a holy being, saint or
      newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
      the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
      Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
      is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
      are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
      that flew through, and still remains. And now the
      beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
      environments is now visible and to me is a
      demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
      universe that are available within and without.
      I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
      in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
      creations.
      PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
      in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
        This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
        http://www.bobroseknives.com
        at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
        If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
        methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
        spend time with you. This show is really unique
        even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
        know of where they not only sell weapons and
        ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
        Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
        But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
        practice your non-distractability, keeping
        calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
        So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
        a safer environment than some college campuses, and
        we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
        evolve in consciousness.

        Visitor Information
        LOCATION
        The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

        DIRECTIONS

        TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
        Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
        Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
        Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
        Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
        Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM THE NORTH:
        Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
        Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM HERSHEY:
        Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM LANCASTER:
        Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM YORK:
        Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM LEBANON:
        Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
        Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

        FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
        Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
        Message 3 of 27 , May 4 5:30 PM
          Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
          show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
          in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
          http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
          The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
          attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
          and techniques with several of our members who were there,
          and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
          what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

          One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
          great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
          masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
          a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
          of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
          all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
          right along the same path.

          Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
          If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
          and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
          web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
            I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
            the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
            Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
            I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
            with several of our members there in past shows and
            look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
            venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
            serve beer!?!?!?
            Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
            for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
            the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
            They're so nice that one may not even notice the
            hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
            kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
            make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
            or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
            my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
            Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
            teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
            become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
            and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
            Hope to see you soon!
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
              OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
              gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
              member and a friend of his have started to make knives
              and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
              to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
              unusually informative meditative experiences...
              IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
              yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
              that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
              attention where one's individual identity melts away and
              a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
              Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
              still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
              itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
              using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
              BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
              should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
              being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
              almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
              heat subside.
              Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
              wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                http://www.bobroseknives.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                  Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                  the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                  accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                  Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                  people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                  be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                  reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                  other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                  small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                  In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                  discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                  mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                  perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                  like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                  meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                  "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                  I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                  words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                  there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                  in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                  just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                  As Gurdjieff put it...
                  "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                  harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                  (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                  forum)