Re: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 8, 2009
      Yo Cosmic Phoenix,
      I totally agree with all you share about your visit.
      Bette and I have had the pleasure of visiting Yogaville
      many times and it always exceeds our expectations.
      There is no more serene, holy and conducive to
      meditation place that we have ever experienced.
      The people there are beautiful in and out and
      there is zero cult-like activity; just a pure
      offering of Yoga and wisdom sharing. The food is
      healthy and excellent and the spiritual offerings
      are good food for the body and soul. There is also
      another element there that has always struck us as
      unique. There is no stuffiness and we always have
      a lot of fun during our visits. I think the influence
      of Swami Satchidananda and Swami Sivananda, who
      preceded him, are evident as they both were always
      in a joyous and playful mood, and that continues
      with the "high times" found there to this day. Anyway,
      I too recommend visiting Yogaville to all and everyone.
      PS: Here's a link to the upcoming programs there:
      http://www.integralyogaprograms.org/

      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda