Re: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Nov 8, 2009
      Yo Cosmic Phoenix,
      I totally agree with all you share about your visit.
      Bette and I have had the pleasure of visiting Yogaville
      many times and it always exceeds our expectations.
      There is no more serene, holy and conducive to
      meditation place that we have ever experienced.
      The people there are beautiful in and out and
      there is zero cult-like activity; just a pure
      offering of Yoga and wisdom sharing. The food is
      healthy and excellent and the spiritual offerings
      are good food for the body and soul. There is also
      another element there that has always struck us as
      unique. There is no stuffiness and we always have
      a lot of fun during our visits. I think the influence
      of Swami Satchidananda and Swami Sivananda, who
      preceded him, are evident as they both were always
      in a joyous and playful mood, and that continues
      with the "high times" found there to this day. Anyway,
      I too recommend visiting Yogaville to all and everyone.
      PS: Here's a link to the upcoming programs there:
      http://www.integralyogaprograms.org/

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.