Music

  • Carole Gray
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
      Music helps me move from a busy mindset to a more quiet one, making it easier to get into a meditative state.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
        Carole Gray <carole.gray18@...> wrote:

        > Music helps me move from a busy mindset to a more quiet one, making it easier to get into a meditative state.

        Yo Carol,
        You're so right. What is interesting is that
        different kinds of music "work" for people.
        I knew twin brothers that had one chilling
        out with classical music and the other with heavy
        metal. Both loved the Beatles. Also at different
        times vastly different types can be more or less
        conducive for meditation. I remember loving Ravi Shankar
        and disliking Country. Now I (finally) understand and
        Hank Williams can produce just as transcendent
        vibrations as any sitar playing. I'm wondering what
        you and others find meditative?
      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
          Don't forget Jonny Cash..one of the best American Poets of our time

          > Music helps me move from a busy mindset to a more quiet one, making it easier to get into a meditative state.

          Yo Carol,
          You're so right. What is interesting is that
          different kinds of music "work" for people.
          I knew twin brothers that had one chilling
          out with classical music and the other with heavy
          metal. Both loved the Beatles. Also at different
          times vastly different types can be more or less
          conducive for meditation. I remember loving Ravi Shankar
          and disliking Country. Now I (finally) understand and
          Hank Williams can produce just as transcendent
          vibrations as any sitar playing. I'm wondering what
          you and others find meditative?

        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
            Then of course there's John's
            old friend and admirer, Sri
            Bob Dylan Ji:

            Father Of Night

            Father of night, Father of day,
            Father, who taketh the darkness away,
            Father, who teacheth the bird to fly,
            Builder of rainbows up in the sky,
            Father of loneliness and pain,
            Father of love and Father of rain.

            Father of day, Father of night,
            Father of black, Father of white,
            Father, who build the mountain so high,
            Who shapeth the cloud up in the sky,
            Father of time, Father of dreams,
            Father, who turneth the rivers and streams.

            Father of grain, Father of wheat,
            Father of cold and Father of heat,
            Father of air and Father of trees,
            Who dwells in our hearts and our memories,
            Father of minutes, Father of days,
            Father of whom we most solemnly praise.

            Copyright ©1970 Big Sky Music

            sean tremblay wrote:

            > Don't forget Jonny Cash..one of the best American Poets of our time
            >
            > --- On *Sat, 10/3/09, medit8ionsociety /<no_reply@yahoogroups.com>/*
            > wrote:
            >

            > From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Music
            > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 3:22 PM
            >

            > Carole Gray <carole.gray18@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Music helps me move from a busy mindset to a more quiet one,
            > making it easier to get into a meditative state.
            > >
            > Yo Carol,
            > You're so right. What is interesting is that
            > different kinds of music "work" for people.
            > I knew twin brothers that had one chilling
            > out with classical music and the other with heavy
            > metal. Both loved the Beatles. Also at different
            > times vastly different types can be more or less
            > conducive for meditation. I remember loving Ravi Shankar
            > and disliking Country. Now I (finally) understand and
            > Hank Williams can produce just as transcendent
            > vibrations as any sitar playing. I'm wondering what
            > you and others find meditative?
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
              A little Miles Davis in the morning works for me

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2009
                I love all of the names that have been mentioned (especially Bob Dylan) but to meditate I truly need instrumental and no lyrics - it's probably just me.

                My friend has a CD titled Solitude that's my favorite - you can get thru cdfreedom.com - it's just up my alley and switches my brain from 'racing' to 'quiet' mode.  I also know someone who has listened to it and said that when she fights with her husband, if they slip that into the cd player, it's sort of a 'mediator' - a word close to 'meditater' - !

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2009
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Carole Gray <carole.gray18@...> wrote:

                  > I love all of the names that have been mentioned (especially Bob Dylan) but to meditate I truly need instrumental and no lyrics - it's probably just me.
                  >
                  > My friend has a CD titled Solitude that's my favorite - you can get thru cdfreedom.com - it's just up my alley and switches my brain from 'racing' to 'quiet' mode.  I also know someone who has listened to it and said that when she fights with her husband, if they slip that into the cd player, it's sort of a 'mediator' - a word close to 'meditater' - !

                  One of my favorite "just instrumental" meditative
                  music delights is a not well known St George gift
                  that is titled Wonderwall. Samples of its tracks
                  can be found here:
                  http://tinyurl.com/y8fp55l
                  And I think it well proves that we really can
                  Get high with a little help from my friends.
                  Enjoy!
                • Papajeff
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2009
                    Thanks, Bob. St. George