Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
      Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
      and like what seems like just very few knife
      makers do, talking about meditation. The show
      is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
      Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
      for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
      I expect to be back home for it. After all,
      I do try not to miss religious events, and
      sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

      After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
      with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
      please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
      probably somewhat transcendental fun.

      PS: You can see the knives at:
      http://www.bobroseknives.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

        > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
        > and like what seems like just very few knife
        > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
        > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
        > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
        > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
        > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
        > I do try not to miss religious events, and
        > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
        >
        > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
        > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
        > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
        > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
        >
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob
        > PS: You can see the knives at:
        > http://www.bobroseknives.com

        Well, we just got back from the show and it
        was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
        people, good conversation, lots of amazing
        knives by some of the most talented makers
        in the world. As is available in every moment,
        lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
        was pretty surprised to find right around the
        corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
        Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
        deals with Transformation, they specialize
        in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
        at least semi-interesting!
        Peace and blesings,
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
          The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
          very ancient handle materials. One is from
          mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
          30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
          and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
          years old.
          As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
          a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
          when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
          or in the company of a holy being, saint or
          newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
          the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
          Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
          is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
          are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
          that flew through, and still remains. And now the
          beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
          environments is now visible and to me is a
          demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
          universe that are available within and without.
          I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
          in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
          creations.
          PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
          in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
            This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
            http://www.bobroseknives.com
            at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
            If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
            methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
            spend time with you. This show is really unique
            even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
            know of where they not only sell weapons and
            ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
            Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
            But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
            practice your non-distractability, keeping
            calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
            So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
            a safer environment than some college campuses, and
            we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
            evolve in consciousness.

            Visitor Information
            LOCATION
            The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

            DIRECTIONS

            TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
            Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
            Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
            Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
            Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
            Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM THE NORTH:
            Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
            Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM HERSHEY:
            Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM LANCASTER:
            Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM YORK:
            Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM LEBANON:
            Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
            Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

            FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
            Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
            Message 5 of 27 , May 4, 2012
              Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
              show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
              in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
              http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
              The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
              attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
              and techniques with several of our members who were there,
              and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
              what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

              One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
              great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
              masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
              a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
              of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
              all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
              right along the same path.

              Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
              If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
              and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
              web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                with several of our members there in past shows and
                look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                serve beer!?!?!?
                Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                Hope to see you soon!
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                  OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                  gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                  member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                  and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                  to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                  unusually informative meditative experiences...
                  IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                  yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                  that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                  attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                  a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                  Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                  still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                  itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                  using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                  BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                  should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                  being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                  almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                  heat subside.
                  Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                  wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                    Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                    meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                    for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                    this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                    Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                    http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                    There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                    about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                    destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                    these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                    evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                    Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                    the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                    "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                    and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                    someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                    their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                    control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                    how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                    So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                    BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                      Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                      the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                      accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                      Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                      people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                      be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                      reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                      other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                      small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                      In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                      discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                      mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                      perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                      like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                      meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                      "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                      I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                      words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                      there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                      in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                      just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                      As Gurdjieff put it...
                      "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                      harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                      (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                      forum)