Krishna on Meditation

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2009
      Those who aspire to the state of self-discipline
      should seek the Self in inner solitude through
      meditation, controlling body and mind, free from
      expectations and attachment to material possessions.

      Select a clean spot, neither too high nor too
      low, and seat yourself firmly on a cloth, a
      deerskin, and kusha grass. Then, once seated,
      strive to still your thoughts. Make your mind
      one-pointed in meditation, and your
      heart will be purified. Hold your body, head,
      and neck firmly in a straight line, and keep
      your eyes from wandering. With all fears dissolved
      in the peace of the Self and all desires dedicated
      to God, controlling the mind and fixing it on Me,
      sit in meditation with Me as your only goal.
      With senses and mind constantly controlled through
      meditation, united with the Self within, an aspirant
      attains Nirvana, the state of abiding joy and
      peace in Me.

      Arjuna, those who eat too much or eat too little,
      who sleep too much or sleep too little, will not
      succeed in meditation. But those who are temp-
      erate in eating and sleeping, work and recreation,
      will come to the end of sorrow through meditation.
      Through constant effort they learn to withdraw
      the mind from selfish cravings and absorb it in
      the Self. Thus they attain the state of union.

      When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering
      like the flame of a lamp in a windless place.
      In the still mind, in the depths of meditation,
      the eternal Self reveals itself. Beholding the
      Self by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy
      and peace of complete fulfilment. Having attained
      that abiding joy beyond the senses, revealed in the
      stilled mind, he never swerves from the central
      truth. He desires nothing else, and
      cannot be shaken by the heaviest burden of sorrow.

      The practice of meditation frees one from all
      affliction. This is the path of yoga. Follow it
      with determination and sustained enthusiasm.
      Renouncing wholeheartedly all selfish desires
      and expectations, use your will to control the
      senses. Little by little, through patience and
      repeated effort, the mind will become stilled in the Self.

      Wherever the mind wanders, restless and diffuse
      in its search for satisfaction without, lead it
      within; train it to rest in the Self. Abiding
      joy comes to those who still the mind. Freeing
      themselves from the taint of self-will, with their
      consciousness unified, they become one with God.

      Bhagavad Gita 6.10-27
    • Papajeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2009

        > Those who aspire to the state of self-discipline
        > should seek the Self in inner solitude through
        > meditation, controlling body and mind, free from
        > expectations and attachment to material possessions.
        >
        > Select a clean spot, neither too high nor too
        > low, and seat yourself firmly on a cloth, a
        > deerskin, and kusha grass. Then, once seated,
        > strive to still your thoughts. Make your mind
        > one-pointed in meditation, and your
        > heart will be purified. Hold your body, head,
        > and neck firmly in a straight line, and keep
        > your eyes from wandering. With all fears dissolved
        > in the peace of the Self and all desires dedicated
        > to God, controlling the mind and fixing it on Me,
        > sit in meditation with Me as your only goal.
        > With senses and mind constantly controlled through
        > meditation, united with the Self within, an aspirant
        > attains Nirvana, the state of abiding joy and
        > peace in Me.
        >
        > Arjuna, those who eat too much or eat too little,
        > who sleep too much or sleep too little, will not
        > succeed in meditation. But those who are temp-
        > erate in eating and sleeping, work and recreation,
        > will come to the end of sorrow through meditation.
        > Through constant effort they learn to withdraw
        > the mind from selfish cravings and absorb it in
        > the Self. Thus they attain the state of union.
        >
        > When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering
        > like the flame of a lamp in a windless place.
        > In the still mind, in the depths of meditation,
        > the eternal Self reveals itself. Beholding the
        > Self by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy
        > and peace of complete fulfilment. Having attained
        > that abiding joy beyond the senses, revealed in the
        > stilled mind, he never swerves from the central
        > truth. He desires nothing else, and
        > cannot be shaken by the heaviest burden of sorrow.
        >
        > The practice of meditation frees one from all
        > affliction. This is the path of yoga. Follow it
        > with determination and sustained enthusiasm.
        > Renouncing wholeheartedly all selfish desires
        > and expectations, use your will to control the
        > senses. Little by little, through patience and
        > repeated effort, the mind will become stilled in the Self.
        >
        > Wherever the mind wanders, restless and diffuse
        > in its search for satisfaction without, lead it
        > within; train it to rest in the Self. Abiding
        > joy comes to those who still the mind. Freeing
        > themselves from the taint of self-will, with their
        > consciousness unified, they become one with God.
        >
        > Bhagavad Gita 6.10-27

        Hey, Bob. Nice selection.
        Reminds of Dr. Christiane
        Northrup's acronym:

        EGO thinks that
        Everything Good is Outside.

        Peace and stillness,

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2012
          When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering
          like the flame of a lamp in a windless place. In the
          still mind, in the depths of meditation,
          the eternal Self reveals itself. Beholding the Self
          by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy and
          peace of complete fulfillment. Having attained that abiding
[...]

          permission from the copyright owner.