Nasrudin Silences the Mind

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2009
      The Mullah Nasrudin stories are intended
      to teach and not just be laughed at. Our
      mind similarly is also to be laughed at and
      learned from. Our "Inner Chatterer" is just
      like a drum banging non-stop disturbing the
      neighborhood. Here's a Nasrudin story that
      points to the saving solution that will give
      your whole Being the silence it needs to be
      at peace. Enjoy!
      There was once a small boy who banged a drum all day...
      and loved every moment of it. He would not be quiet,
      no matter what anyone else said or did. Various people
      who called themselves Holy Men, and other well-wishers,
      were called in by neighbors and asked to do something
      about the child.

      The first so-called Holy Man told the boy that he would,
      if he continued to make so much noise, perforate his
      eardrums; this reasoning was too advanced for the
      child, who was neither a scientist nor a scholar. The
      second told him that drum beating was a sacred
      activity and should be carried out only on special
      occasions. The third offered the neighbors plugs for
      their ears; the fourth gave the boy a book; the fifth
      gave the neighbors books that described a method of
      controlling anger through biofeedback; the sixth gave
      the boy "spiritual" exercises to make him placid and
      explained that all reality was imagination. Like all
      placebos, each of these remedies worked for a short
      while, but none worked for very long.

      Eventually,Mullah Nasrudin came along. He looked at the
      situation, handed the boy a hammer and chisel, and
      said, "I wonder what is INSIDE the drum?"