Tyranny of the left brain

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2009
      After writing about the right brain, I came across some of Dr. Treffert's work about, "the tyranny of the left brain." His study is primarily with prodigies and savants who have unique and sometimes startling abilities. He has focused on birth 'defects' and brain injuries that account for the 'trade off' of normal functioning for prodigious and savant abilities.

      My experience with meditation (or more accurately, with a specific meditation on a specific day) thrust me into an experience that parallels those described by NDEs (Near Death Experiencers) and spiritual mystics. It took me a long time to reconcile how I could have possibly experienced this without any brain injury or trauma. In the study of raja yoga that I learned of yogis who go into the 'breathless state' and saw the connection.

      Recently, with approval from his neurologist, I have been working with a stroke victim. Using guided imagery and visualization, the client insists that he is recovering strength in certain movement where before he felt pain. More later.

      Jeff