Re: [Meditation Society of America] Harvard Medical catching up with yogis

  • WestWindWood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2009

      I would like to comment a little more.  My previous message is the way I actively approach an illness.  I would also say that just meditating without a medical issue does calm a person and relieve the chaos in the mind that occurs from normal living.  I am sure that relieving that stress would make for a healthier person.  Try meditating and you will observe that after about twenty minutes, all those feelings that are banging around will settle down and you will be aware of your central dominant feeling.  Meditate another twenty minutes and that will settle also.  The problem is that the dominant feeling will occur in the next session, so you have to actively work on you issues between sessions by actively trying to change behavior.  For instance, if you find yourself trying to be dominant with another for no evident benefit, let then have their way if no harm is likely to come from doing so.  You might feel like you are giving up a part of yourself in doing so, but do it to become a better person.  It takes three or four sessions for the chaos to settle enough for the twenty-minute intervals to become evident.  After all you have a lifetime of feelings accumulated.  After meditating for a few weeks, you are likely to have your friends comment that you are calmer and easier to be with.  So for a healthy and fruitful life, as I once saw on a bumper stickers in Berkeley, CA, “Don’t hesitate to meditate” rather than “My karma ran over your dogma”.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 12:34 PM
        Yo WestWind and Papajeff,
        Great stuff and thanks for sharing.
        Here's a list of 101 Benefits of Meditation
        (from http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/100-benefits-of-meditation/ )

        Physiological benefits:
        1- It lowers oxygen consumption.
        2- It decreases respiratory rate.
        3- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
        4- Increases exercise tolerance.
        5- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
        6- Good for people with high blood pressure.
        7- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
        8- Decreases muscle tension
        9- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
        10- Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
        11- Helps in post-operative healing.
        12- Enhances the immune system.
        13- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
        14- Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
        15- Helps with weight loss
        16- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
        17- Higher skin resistance
        18- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
        19- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
        20- Decreases the aging process.
        21- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
        22- prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
        23- Makes you sweat less
        24- Cure headaches & migraines
        25- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
        26- Reduced Need for Medical Care
        27- Less energy wasted
        28- More inclined to sports, activities
        29- Significant relief from asthma
        30- improved performance in athletic events
        31- Normalizes to your ideal weight
        32- harmonizes our endocrine system
        33- relaxes our nervous system
        34- produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
        35- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).

        Psychological benefits:
        36- Builds self-confidence.
        37- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
        38- Resolve phobias & fears
        39- Helps control own thoughts
        40- Helps with focus & concentration
        41- Increase creativity
        42- Increased brain wave coherence.
        43- Improved learning ability and memory.
        44- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
        45- Increased emotional stability.
        46- improved relationships
        47- Mind ages at slower rate
        48- Easier to remove bad habits
        49- Develops intuition
        50- Increased Productivity
        51- Improved relations at home & at work
        52- Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
        53- Helps ignore petty issues
        54- Increased ability to solve complex problems
        55- Purifies your character
        56- Develop will power
        57- greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
        58- react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
        59- increases one's perceptual ability and motor performance
        60- higher intelligence growth rate
        61- Increased job satisfaction
        62- increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
        63- decrease in potential mental illness
        64- Better, more sociable behaviour
        65- Less aggressiveness
        66- Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
        67- Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
        68- Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
        69- Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
        70- Increases sense of responsibility
        71- Reduces road rage
        72- Decrease in restless thinking
        73- Decreased tendency to worry
        74- Increases listening skills and empathy
        75- Helps make more accurate judgements
        76- Greater tolerance
        77- Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
        78- Grows a stable, more balanced personality
        79- Develops emotional maturity

        Spiritual benefits:
        80- Helps keep things in perspective
        81- Provides peace of mind, happiness
        82- Helps you discover your purpose
        83- Increased self-actualization.
        84- Increased compassion
        85- Growing wisdom
        86- Deeper understanding of yourself and others
        87- Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony
        88- Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
        89- Increased acceptance of oneself
        90- helps learn forgiveness
        91- Changes attitude toward life
        92- Creates a deeper relationship with your God
        93- Attain enlightenment
        94- greater inner-directedness
        95- Helps living in the present moment
        96- Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
        97- Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
        98- Experience an inner sense of "Assurance or Knowingness"
        99- Experience a sense of "Oneness"
        100- Increases the synchronicity in your life

        and the 101st is that Meditation is free!

        FAIR USE NOTICE
        This site contains copyrighted material the
        use of which has not always been specifically
        authorized by the copyright owner. We are
        making such material available in our efforts
        to advance understanding of environmental,
        scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
        etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
        for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
        the material on this site is distributed
        without profit to those who have expressed a
        prior interest in receiving the included information
        for research and educational purposes. For more
        information go to:
        http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
        site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
        you must obtain permission from the copyright owner