Re: [Meditation Society of America] Harvard Medical catching up with yogis

  • WestWindWood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2009
      Sometimes stress can cause serious illness.  Take a look at the book by Lawrence LeShan, You Can Fight For Your Life about turning on the immune system after counseling discovers the source of overwhelming stress, causing terminal cancer to go into remission.  Enough talking will let feelings come out.  I like the meditation approach myself because it also allows access to the origin of stress by letting meditation put the intellect “to sleep”, to let feelings bubble up past the intellectual screen that is usually filters or suppresses those feelings.  Find a way to work out a solution to the stress, the feelings, and realize the illness is not worth embracing the stress.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2009

        I would like to comment a little more.  My previous message is the way I actively approach an illness.  I would also say that just meditating without a medical issue does calm a person and relieve the chaos in the mind that occurs from normal living.  I am sure that relieving that stress would make for a healthier person.  Try meditating and you will observe that after about twenty minutes, all those feelings that are banging around will settle down and you will be aware of your central dominant feeling.  Meditate another twenty minutes and that will settle also.  The problem is that the dominant feeling will occur in the next session, so you have to actively work on you issues between sessions by actively trying to change behavior.  For instance, if you find yourself trying to be dominant with another for no evident benefit, let then have their way if no harm is likely to come from doing so.  You might feel like you are giving up a part of yourself in doing so, but do it to become a better person.  It takes three or four sessions for the chaos to settle enough for the twenty-minute intervals to become evident.  After all you have a lifetime of feelings accumulated.  After meditating for a few weeks, you are likely to have your friends comment that you are calmer and easier to be with.  So for a healthy and fruitful life, as I once saw on a bumper stickers in Berkeley, CA, “Don’t hesitate to meditate” rather than “My karma ran over your dogma”.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
          Yo WestWind and Papajeff,
          Great stuff and thanks for sharing.
          Here's a list of 101 Benefits of Meditation
          (from http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/100-benefits-of-meditation/ )

          Physiological benefits:
          1- It lowers oxygen consumption.
          2- It decreases respiratory rate.
          3- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
          4- Increases exercise tolerance.
          5- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
          6- Good for people with high blood pressure.
          7- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
          8- Decreases muscle tension
          9- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
          10- Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
          11- Helps in post-operative healing.
          12- Enhances the immune system.
          13- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
          14- Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
          15- Helps with weight loss
          16- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
          17- Higher skin resistance
          18- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
          19- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
          20- Decreases the aging process.
          21- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
          22- prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
          23- Makes you sweat less
          24- Cure headaches & migraines
          25- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
          26- Reduced Need for Medical Care
          27- Less energy wasted
          28- More inclined to sports, activities
          29- Significant relief from asthma
          30- improved performance in athletic events
          31- Normalizes to your ideal weight
          32- harmonizes our endocrine system
          33- relaxes our nervous system
          34- produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
          35- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).

          Psychological benefits:
          36- Builds self-confidence.
          37- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
          38- Resolve phobias & fears
          39- Helps control own thoughts
          40- Helps with focus & concentration
          41- Increase creativity
          42- Increased brain wave coherence.
          43- Improved learning ability and memory.
          44- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
          45- Increased emotional stability.
          46- improved relationships
          47- Mind ages at slower rate
          48- Easier to remove bad habits
          49- Develops intuition
          50- Increased Productivity
          51- Improved relations at home & at work
          52- Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
          53- Helps ignore petty issues
          54- Increased ability to solve complex problems
          55- Purifies your character
          56- Develop will power
          57- greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
          58- react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
          59- increases one's perceptual ability and motor performance
          60- higher intelligence growth rate
          61- Increased job satisfaction
          62- increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
          63- decrease in potential mental illness
          64- Better, more sociable behaviour
          65- Less aggressiveness
          66- Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
          67- Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
          68- Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
          69- Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
          70- Increases sense of responsibility
          71- Reduces road rage
          72- Decrease in restless thinking
          73- Decreased tendency to worry
          74- Increases listening skills and empathy
          75- Helps make more accurate judgements
          76- Greater tolerance
          77- Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
          78- Grows a stable, more balanced personality
          79- Develops emotional maturity

          Spiritual benefits:
          80- Helps keep things in perspective
          81- Provides peace of mind, happiness
          82- Helps you discover your purpose
          83- Increased self-actualization.
          84- Increased compassion
          85- Growing wisdom
          86- Deeper understanding of yourself and others
          87- Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony
          88- Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
          89- Increased acceptance of oneself
          90- helps learn forgiveness
          91- Changes attitude toward life
          92- Creates a deeper relationship with your God
          93- Attain enlightenment
          94- greater inner-directedness
          95- Helps living in the present moment
          96- Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
          97- Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
          98- Experience an inner sense of "Assurance or Knowingness"
          99- Experience a sense of "Oneness"
          100- Increases the synchronicity in your life

          and the 101st is that Meditation is free!

          FAIR USE NOTICE
          This site contains copyrighted material the
          use of which has not always been specifically
          authorized by the copyright owner. We are
          making such material available in our efforts
          to advance understanding of environmental,
          scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
          etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
          for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
          the material on this site is distributed
          without profit to those who have expressed a
          prior interest in receiving the included information
          for research and educational purposes. For more
          information go to:
          http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
          site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
          you must obtain permission from the copyright owner