Mantras

  • chukmukruk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2009
      Can anyone direct me to any info on mantras. The use of them, impoprtance of them, and some suggested mantras.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2009
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "chukmukruk" <chukmukruk@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone direct me to any info on mantras. The use of them, impoprtance of them, and some suggested mantras.

        From our web site where we share this "How to" about
        the Mantra OM, but also contains much about mantras
        in general:

        OM
        Every vibration has a corresponding sound and
        everything in the universe has a vibration and
        thus a sound. Each atom, molecule, cell, object,
        group of objects, even the entire universe, has
        its own collection of vibrations and unique sound.

        When you chant a mantra, you merge with the
        sound vibration and become at one with the energy
        wavelength of the object of your mantra. Mantra
        chanting makes you at one with everyone,
        everywhere who is chanting that mantra and
        with everyone who has ever chanted the mantra.
        All the saints who have ever reached enlightenment
        through the technique of chanting that mantra
        connect with you as you connect with the vibration
        of the mantra. You merge with their essence
        which has been purified and is holy and you
        become pure and holy because that divine level
        of existence vibrates only with holiness, peace,
        and bliss.

        By chanting a mantra, your cells, molecules, atoms,
        and sub-atomic particles all vibrate in the same
        wavelength as the mantra. Once attuned with this
        vibration you connect with everything resonating
        on that plane of existence. It's like tuning a
        radio. At first you may get static, but once
        you are in the right frequency your reception
        is perfect. Om is the universal sound. It is
        within every word and within everything. So when
        you chant Om, you merge with all energy and
        all forms, from the sub-atomic to the universal,
        from the most gross to the most divine. And
        when you are tuned in perfectly, you will receive
        holy frequencies clearly and merge and emerge
        at one with the source of all and live happily
        ever after.

        Many meditation teachers suggest that it is
        necessary to understand every intellectual
        aspect of the meaning of the mantra that is
        being practiced, but just as many others feel
        that the intellect may tend to confuse and
        hold back spiritual progress. What both types
        of teachers agree on is that mantras have the
        potential to take practitioners to the level
        of consciousness that transcends the limitations
        of the mind by a billion-fold. There is an
        ancient tale that very well shows that true
        devotion and complete absorption are the key:

        Once upon a time in a land far away lived a poor
        uneducated, mentally challenged man who tended a
        herd of cows for his master. He happened upon a
        meditation teacher and was very taken with his
        calm, loving, gentle and happy nature. He decided
        he wanted to know that experience first hand.
        And so he went to the teacher and begged him to
        teach him a way to achieve the inner peace that
        radiated so obviously from the teacher. The
        teacher accepted him as his student but quickly
        found that the man couldn't understand any of
        the philosophical points he was making and as
        a matter of fact couldn't even remember the
        mantra Om when he tried to teach it to him.
        The teacher lovingly said, "My oh my, you don't
        seem to know anything at all, can't be taught,
        and can't remember anything. You are devoted
        and sincere in your desire to gain happiness
        though, so I will try to help you. My son,
        what do you know?" The man said, "Oh great
        teacher, the only thing I know is cows. All
        my life I've spent caring for cows, making
        sure they graze, are milked, and are kept
        clean. Yes, for me, everything is cows."
        "Well, that's alright," said the teacher,
        "then you know what sound the cows make."
        "Oh yes," said the man, "they say moo."
        "Very well then," said the teacher, "for
        you, moo will be your mantra. All you have
        to do is say moo continually and you will
        reach freedom from suffering and know real
        bliss." So the man chanted moo, moo, moo
        when he took the cows out to graze and he
        chanted moo, moo, moo when he milked them,
        and he chanted moo, moo, moo when he cleaned
        them. He chanted moo all the time and very
        soon merged with that vibration, which is
        Om backward, and reached the highest heights
        of joyous understanding and lived happily
        ever after.

        From this story, we learn that it is virtually
        impossible to chant Om "wrong". It is, after
        all, an insentient sound. But the giver of
        this sound to the universe knows the intention
        and devotion of the practitioner and that is
        by what we will be rewarded. It is said that
        one minute of sincere chanting is superior
        to a thousand hours of mere sounding of the
        words. A parrot can be taught to recite a
        mantra but this will be just mere vibrations
        in the air. It is the love and worship behind
        the sound that counts. Technically though,
        there is a "correct" way to chant Om. It is
        made up of three letters: A, U, M. These
        contain all the sounds there are. The A is
        guttural and comes from the throat. It is
        pronounced without any part of the tongue or
        palate in contact. The U sound comes from the
        middle of the sounding board, the palate. In
        Sanskrit, the A and U join together to become
        O. The O sound is vibrated from the navel/
        solar plexus area and sent up to the sternum
        to the voice region, the lips, where the M sound
        is prolonged and vibrated up to the crown of
        the head. This vibrating M is felt in every
        cell of the body and is beamed out lovingly,
        soothingly, powerfully, to everything,
        everyone, everywhere. Intellectually and
        metaphysically, A stands for the physical
        world perceptible to the senses, the material
        world. U represents the astral and dream
        planes, heaven and hell. M is the unknown,
        deep sleep, and that which is unfathomable
        to the intellect. Thus Om contains the entire
        spectrum of sound, words, worlds, and concepts.
        Om represents the source of all light, love,
        and wisdom.

        There are three ways to do mantras - aloud,
        silently but while mouthing or humming the
        mantra, and completely silently within oneself.
        When done aloud and particularly when done
        with others, the sound of Om is energizing,
        calming, and healing. Although it is often
        encouraged to do your mantra all the time,
        it would certainly be questionable to consider
        chanting Om aloud in the middle of a board
        meeting. Similarly, it may be preferable to
        do Om silently just by moving your lips if
        you are in a movie theater. Chanting Om
        completely silently is considered the most
        potent method because it is not dependent
        on having a human voice box, or lips, or
        facial muscles, all of which are temporary
        manifestations compared to the billions of
        years you will be fully at one with Om. It
        is advantageous to spiritual development to
        consider the theological, philosophical and
        mystical aspects of Om while chanting with
        your physical eyes closed, looking through
        the third eye, and paying attention to your
        breath. This may seem complex and complicated,
        but once in synch, it happens naturally as
        Om reveals itself, your Real Self, to you.