Description of doing nothing

  • cuno66
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2009
      Hello dear friends;

      This is my first post.I read the book called I AM THAT and as far as I understand the awareness Sri Nisargadatta describes is the choiceless awareness-the art of doing nothing…or is it not??.but some words he says is sometimes paradoxical..here is one..

      Q:How is it done?
      M:Refuse all thoughts except one:the thought `I am'.(page 18-The self stands beyond mind)

      Here he says REFUSE!Which is saying doing something..Does he say this for the mundanes..??but in choiceless we don't refuse anything only stay with the consciousness here and now…any comments

      cuno
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2009
        I'd love to do a whole bunch of nothin right now!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
          "cuno66" <cuno66@...> wrote:

          > Hello dear friends;
          >
          > This is my first post.I read the book called I AM THAT and as far as I understand the awareness Sri Nisargadatta describes is the choiceless awareness-the art of doing nothing…or is it not??.but some words he says is sometimes paradoxical..here is one..
          >
          > Q:How is it done?
          > M:Refuse all thoughts except one:the thought `I am'.(page 18-The self stands beyond mind)
          >

          > Here he says REFUSE!Which is saying doing something..Does he say this for the mundanes..??but in choiceless we don't refuse anything only stay with the consciousness here and now…any comments
          >

          > cuno

          Yo Cuno,
          Good question, We weren't there and don't know
          the language and the translation. For instance,
          perhaps he meant "don't react to" rather than
          "reject" as what he was trying to communicate
          when he used the term "Refuse". But, like everything
          in that amazing book, it's well worth meditating on.
          The real deal is one of negation "Not this, not this"
          and we then have "What IS". And it will probably take
          a great effort and perhaps many years to have this
          awareness instantly become effortless.
          And then the choices (???'s) become choice-less(!!!!!)
        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
            This is a good concept to ponder, the BE-ING and is present in many traditions I have observed.  Howevr if applied the wrong way or under false pretences it can lead to apathy instead of release