Osho on False Buddhahood

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2009
      Question: Is it possible to believe that
      one has just attained Buddhahood? And is
      it possible just to believe like that only
      because of the ego? And if it is possible,
      then how to avoid it?Osho : IT IS VERY MUCH
      POSSIBLE. Many times your ego will I deceive
      you. It will say, "You have arrived, you have
      attained." By saying that it will prevent you
      from attaining, because when you have attained
      there is no need to make any more effort. When
      you have already attained, then what is the
      point of going on troubling yourself? That is
      the last trap ego throws at you.

      First it says, "It is foolish to try to attain
      Buddhahood. It does not happen in the very nature
      of things. It is all nonsense, fiction. Don't be
      mystified by these words!" First the ego will
      say, "It is impossible. It has never happened
      and it is not going to happen." But if you don't
      listen and you go on and on, the ego will try many
      other ways to distract you.

      The last will be: one day, seeing that now you
      don't listen, the ego can say to you, "Now look!
      You have had it, it has happened. This is satori,
      this is samadhi. You have become a Buddha." This
      has to be encountered by every seeker.

      The real enemy is not outside you, and the real
      distraction never comes from the outside -- it
      comes from the inside. Buddha has said, "The enemy
      is within, and the friend is within -- both are
      within you." If you listen to the enemy, the ego,
      it will go on befooling you, deluding you.

      Naturally, there is nothing much more than
      Buddhahood. If the ego can feel that "I have
      attained" then you are at the top of the world.
      Even an Alexander is nothing before you. The
      richest man is just poor before you; the most
      powerful man is nothing, helpless before you.
      You have become omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent --
      you have become a god. The ego can do that. And it
      will do! Unless you are very, very alert.

      And when it starts playing such tricks on you,
      you will tend to accept it because it is so sweet
      It is so beautiful to accept these ideas. Knowing
      well that nothing has happened -- because how can
      you befool yourself? -- knowing well that nothing
      has happened, still you will tend to become a victim.

      Two old men meet on a corner.
      First old man: "Where have you been for the past eight weeks?"
      Second old man: "In jail."
      First old man: "You in jail? How come?"

      Second old man: "Well, about eight weeks ago I
      was standing on a corner, and this beautiful young
      girl rushes up with a policeman and says, 'He's the
      man, officer. He's the one who attacked me.' I tell
      you, I felt so flattered, I admitted it."

      It is possible. A man of eighty, if a beautiful girl
      rushes up with a policeman and says, "This man has
      attacked me," can feel flattered. It is worth going
      to jail for a few weeks. He could not say no.

      When the idea is thrown at you from your ego that
      you have attained, it is so charming, it is so
      hypnotizing, it is so attractive, it is incomparably
      attractive. And knowing well somewhere deep down --
      how can you not know? -- knowing well, perfectly,
      that it has not happened! You are just the same,
      with the same anger, with the same jealousy, with
      the same possessiveness, with ALL the nonsense that
      has been there -- it is still there. But still you
      would like to accept it.

      Then you ask me: AND IF IT CAN HAPPEN LIKE THAT,
      THEN HOW TO AVOID IT?

      The only way to know, the only way to judge
      whether it has really happened or is just an
      ego trap, is that when it really happens you
      don't have the feeling of attainment at all.
      When it REALLY happens you don't feel that you
      have attained. You don't feel that you have arrived,
      that you have achieved. There is no trace of
      achievement at all -- because WHO can achieve
      it? In the very process of achieving it you have
      disappeared, so who call claim it? Who can say,
      "I have come, I have attained"? The 'I' is no more!

      This is the only criterion: when you really attain,
      there is no feeling of attainment at all. There is
      NOBODY to attain it and nobody to claim it. There
      is immense silence. All that garbage of attainment
      -- of attaining this and attaining that -- has all
      disappeared. The whole crowd has gone. You are left
      utterly in silence. Not even for a single moment
      does the idea arise: "Now I have attained!"

      And you know it has happened, but there is no
      feeling of attainment. Let me repeat: You know
      it has happened. But remember, it is a happening --
      because you don't find yourself at all! You are
      not there! It HAS happened! You are empty, you are
      absent; you look in all directions and you don't
      find yourself at all. You are nowhere to be found.
      That old guy has disappeared without leaving a trace.
      You KNOW it! It has happened, but there is no
      feeling of attainment.

      Attainment is an ego feeling; achievement is
      the desire of the ego. So remember the difference
      between a happening and an achieving. Ego is the
      achiever. So if any trace of achievement lingers
      in you, and any feeling of attainment comes to
      you, and you start feeling strong, worthy, great --
      then you can be certain you have missed again.

      When it really happens, there is no claimant
      left. One simply is it. Not that you become
      Buddha -- suddenly you understand you are not,
      only Buddha is. It brings great humbleness.
      There is no assertion.

      Source: from his book
      "Zen: The Path of Paradox, Volume 3" by Osho
      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2009
        I have often thought that was the case that's why I am very sceptical about peoples claims!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2009
          There is an interesting tale (myth?)
          about when Gautama (Buddha) awakened
          and was walking along a path down