Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 18, 2009
      A One-pointed Mind

      "When the mind is concentrated, it gains
      more strength. Anything that is dissipated
      loses its strength. If you gather all the
      thought forms and concentrate on one idea
      or object, the mind will reveal the inner
      secret of that idea. That is what inventors
      do. They are deeply concentrated, their minds
      are one-pointed, so nature reveals its
      secrets to them. Because these individuals'
      minds were one-pointed, they could penetrate
      the secret of the atom. That control, that
      one-pointedness is possible. With that you
      can gain anything you want in this world.
      There is nothing in this world that a
      one-pointed mind cannot gain.

      For more about and by Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda