Personal/Impersonal Expectations

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2009

      Question: In speaking of No Expectation What does that look like ... seeing that there is no separate entity yet in this plane where there is body activity... Do we not expect to get paid when going to work, or the car to stop when I put on the brakes, to be satisfied of hunger when I eat etc.

      Answer:

      Dear Gary,

      There is a distinction to be made between personal and impersonal expectation. In the case of personal expectation, the belief in separate personal entities is involved, and their happiness is at stake: you expect something, good or bad, for yourself as a separate person or from others as separate persons. In the case of impersonal expectation, nobody is involved: "If an object is released from a certain height on the surface of the earth, it will fall to the ground" is an impersonal expectation.This distinction is sometimes not obvious. Example:

      "I expect my hunger to disappear if I eat enough" is an impersonal expectation, "I" refers in that case to the body, not to consciousness.

      "I expect to be happy if I eat enough" is a personal expectation. The second "I" refers to the body, the first "I" to consciousness. You can see, ignorance is in this case the result of a lack of discrimination between the true self, consciousness, and an object, the body.

      This second type of expectation disappears automatically when the belief in a separate consciousness, on which it depends, disappears. The term "no expectation" used by some sages refers to that disappearance.

      My teacher, Jean Klein, once told me: "Don't expect anything (for yourself or from others) and you will get everything". These words had a great impact on me, and their truth has kept revealing itself since.

      Most affectionately,

      Francis

      - Francis Lucille

      -------------

      There is a distinction to be made between personal and impersonal expectation.

      Is there one?

      For whom is that distinction?

       In the case of personal expectation, the belief in separate personal entities is involved, and their happiness is at stake: you expect something, good or bad, for yourself as a separate person or from others as separate persons. In the case of impersonal expectation, nobody is involved:

      Then whose expectation is involved?

      Expectation is the hope that given more than one possible outcomes..........a preferred one..... should come to occur.

      It is not that there is a person expecting this or that....

      .....but that the very sense of preference which is synonymous with the sense of expectation...

      ..... is the sense of the persona.

      Whether the expectation is for enlightenment or a bottle of dark Barcadi Rum......to quench a thirst.

       "If an object is released from a certain height on the surface of the earth, it will fall to the ground" is an impersonal expectation.

      Nope.

      Given the  model under question, aka the surface of the earth.......there are no multiple possibilities in the outcome of
      an object in free fall, released from a height.

      Hence it is not an issue of a personal versus impersonal expectation but that no expectation can be built.

      This distinction is sometimes not obvious. Example:

      "I expect my hunger to disappear if I eat enough" is an impersonal expectation, "I" refers in that case to the body, not to consciousness.

      The body never has any expectation.

      Yes, being a reactive object, it responds to impacting stimuli.....whether internally generated or to external arrivals.

      "Don't expect anything (for yourself or from others) and you will get everything"

      Thus a technique to satisfy the expectation to get everything.

      Seeing the transient nature of the temporary....

      ......the chase for the timeless.

      Expectation, whether classified as personal or impersonal.......is essentially a thought
      (the classification being more thoughts)...

      .....essentially a thought about a construct.........the construct itself being more thought-play.

      Drawing distinctions, differentiations, classifications, thus the birth of preferences...

      .....and consequently techniques aimed at actualizing such preferences.....

      .....techniques whether expectation-based, or non-expectation based....

      .....the entirety..

      ......as  a hoopla of thought.

      Seeing this as such...........is anything to be done with the hoopla?

      Seeing this as the suchness of this...

      ......is seeing that the sense of having to do something with suchness.....

      ....is a nuance of the same hoopla.

      Seeing such.....

      ......the contours of the hoopla....it's contents.....are no longer an issue.

      No longer is an issue.......whether there is a prevailing sense of a preference or not.....

      .....whether there is a prevailing sense of an expectation or not.

      Seeing such.....does not interfere whether there is a continuing engagement in holding breath along with a clenched sphincter....
      or a continued participation in the cacophony of the market place.

      Seeing which is not seeing of a suchness........but the very suchness itself...

      ....is not an effect.

      Is not an effect.........effected........by something.....or someone.

      And thus not receivable.

      Or recoverable.

      Or regainable.

      Or reachable.

      Thus cannot be brought within the confines of thought.

      (And all experiences and description of experiences is mere play of thought)

      "Is not an effect"...

      ......"cannot be effected by something/someone"..

      ...."not receivable/
      recoverable/regainable/ reachable/"...

      ..."cannot be confined by thought, thus cannot be experienced/described"......

      ......are these not more hoopla of thought?

      Indeed they are.

      Thus......the absence of the presence of thought.......

      .....the absence of the absence of the presence of thought.