Re: Sound Meditation

  • cosmic_yogi1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      Thank you Jeff!

      This post by far has been the most beneficial that you have shared regarding the wonderful tool of meditation.

      ONE

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

      > Sound Meditation:
      >
      > Begin with noticing your
      > breath, and being quietly
      > aware of when you are
      > inhaling and exhaling.
      >
      > By focusing on any sound -
      > soft music, the sound of
      > rain or wind, running water,
      > 'Om' and other 'soothing' sounds -
      >
      > close your eyes, and...
      >
      > allow yourself to gradually
      > become so absorbed in the
      > sound that you no longer
      > are aware of following your
      > breath. (This will happen
      > naturally and nothing you
      > have to put any effort or
      > control into.)
      >
      > Just listen.
      >
      > The sound will move deeper
      > and deeper inside and serve
      > to settle your mind and body
      > into more and more receptivity
      > to the discovery of the real
      > magic of meditation.
      >
      > In the eastern (India) traditions,
      > sound yoga is considered to be the
      > most powerful means of moving
      > us to the point of transcendence.
      >
      > A marker on the way to transcendence
      > is the feeling that, in an unusual
      > way, we are...the music (the sound).
      >
      > This happens in a very subtle way
      > and only reveals itself in the midst
      > of the quietest of quiet awareness.
      >
      > There are no words to adequately
      > explain what this incredibly pleasing
      > rush of perception is like.
      >
      > If you try it, be patient.
      >
      > One Love,
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > A side note: Sound is considered to
      > be the first 'sense' that we
      > develop - while still in the womb...
      > and the last sense to 'leave' at
      > the end of life.

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        You're welcome. This seemingly
        simple meditation techniques...
        is not as easy and breezy as
        it reads.

        So, just a preparatory note:

        While in the settled listening,
        the ego (what is commonly referred
        to as ego - our 'thinking, reasoning'
        identity) can put up 'resistance'.

        When we begin to sense our absorption
        in the sound and enjoy a feeling of
        becoming ethereal...the ego can freak
        out and send a signal to us to not let go -
        to not fully commit to what seems
        like a dissolution of 'self' (as the
        ego knows it).

        This is where many even advanced
        meditators often turn back.

        A little cosmic note here: This is the
        quantum point of 'surrender' into the
        4th dimension when all negative impressions
        of the past are released and a fresh
        perspective of positive perfection
        presents itself in a sudden rush
        of 'wisdom'. This can be compared
        to what in quantum mechanics is known
        as the 'magnetic moment'.

        On a consciousness level it is beyond
        thinking and experiencing in the mind.
        It is another dimension of being not
        bound by space and time - sometimes
        called unbounded consciousness or
        Awakening.

        This potential requires the leap -
        the absolute allowance of the risk
        of dissolution, the 'loss'
        of, individual identity...

        to discover 'Self', the Self-Realization
        that All is One. When this shift
        occurs, the ego is delighted to
        have a new 'playmate' of expanded
        and enlightened consciousness, One
        who can now enjoy both absolute
        and relative reality - knowing the
        primary Oneness as their true identity,
        and the relative existence as a
        'secondary' identity.

        There is no human experience that can
        compare to this - none as sweet and
        freeing and beautiful.

        In a way, it is easy and natural. And
        at the same time, in a way, it is elusive
        and as Sri Ringo sang, "It don't come easy."

        One Love,

        Jeff