Sound Meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009

      A side note: Sound is considered to
      be the first 'sense' that we
      develop - while still in the womb...
      and the last sense to 'leave' at
      the end of life.
    • cosmic_yogi1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thank you Jeff!

        This post by far has been the most beneficial that you have shared regarding the wonderful tool of meditation.

        ONE

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

        > Sound Meditation:
        >
        > Begin with noticing your
        > breath, and being quietly
        > aware of when you are
        > inhaling and exhaling.
        >
        > By focusing on any sound -
        > soft music, the sound of
        > rain or wind, running water,
        > 'Om' and other 'soothing' sounds -
        >
        > close your eyes, and...
        >
        > allow yourself to gradually
        > become so absorbed in the
        > sound that you no longer
        > are aware of following your
        > breath. (This will happen
        > naturally and nothing you
        > have to put any effort or
        > control into.)
        >
        > Just listen.
        >
        > The sound will move deeper
        > and deeper inside and serve
        > to settle your mind and body
        > into more and more receptivity
        > to the discovery of the real
        > magic of meditation.
        >
        > In the eastern (India) traditions,
        > sound yoga is considered to be the
        > most powerful means of moving
        > us to the point of transcendence.
        >
        > A marker on the way to transcendence
        > is the feeling that, in an unusual
        > way, we are...the music (the sound).
        >
        > This happens in a very subtle way
        > and only reveals itself in the midst
        > of the quietest of quiet awareness.
        >
        > There are no words to adequately
        > explain what this incredibly pleasing
        > rush of perception is like.
        >
        > If you try it, be patient.
        >
        > One Love,
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > A side note: Sound is considered to
        > be the first 'sense' that we
        > develop - while still in the womb...
        > and the last sense to 'leave' at
        > the end of life.

      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
          You're welcome. This seemingly
          simple meditation techniques...
          is not as easy and breezy as
          it reads.

          So, just a preparatory note:

          While in the settled listening,
          the ego (what is commonly referred
          to as ego - our 'thinking, reasoning'
          identity) can put up 'resistance'.

          When we begin to sense our absorption
          in the sound and enjoy a feeling of
          becoming ethereal...the ego can freak
          out and send a signal to us to not let go -
          to not fully commit to what seems
          like a dissolution of 'self' (as the
          ego knows it).

          This is where many even advanced
          meditators often turn back.

          A little cosmic note here: This is the
          quantum point of 'surrender' into the
          4th dimension when all negative impressions
          of the past are released and a fresh
          perspective of positive perfection
          presents itself in a sudden rush
          of 'wisdom'. This can be compared
          to what in quantum mechanics is known
          as the 'magnetic moment'.

          On a consciousness level it is beyond
          thinking and experiencing in the mind.
          It is another dimension of being not
          bound by space and time - sometimes
          called unbounded consciousness or
          Awakening.

          This potential requires the leap -
          the absolute allowance of the risk
          of dissolution, the 'loss'
          of, individual identity...

          to discover 'Self', the Self-Realization
          that All is One. When this shift
          occurs, the ego is delighted to
          have a new 'playmate' of expanded
          and enlightened consciousness, One
          who can now enjoy both absolute
          and relative reality - knowing the
          primary Oneness as their true identity,
          and the relative existence as a
          'secondary' identity.

          There is no human experience that can
          compare to this - none as sweet and
          freeing and beautiful.

          In a way, it is easy and natural. And
          at the same time, in a way, it is elusive
          and as Sri Ringo sang, "It don't come easy."

          One Love,

          Jeff