Idle musings

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2009

      If you could only keep quiet, clear of memories and
      expectations, you would be able to discern the
      beautiful pattern of events.  It is your restlessness
      that causes chaos.

                                - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      The crystal clarity that erupted through Nisraga was usually corrupted by the very process with which it was recorded.

      Nisarga not only had no English, he spoke in a dialect of an Indian language known as Marathi, in response to a question posed in English by a Pole.

      The above quote would appear to suggest that  there is an individuated entity which can  work to keep quiet, be clear of memories and expectations.

      Whereas the very sense of striving to be quiet, to be clear of memories and expectation, ....

      .....that very sense of striving is the very sense of expectation, which is the sense of the entity.

      You cannot be quiet.

      You are the very disturbance seeking an end of that disturbance, the seeking being more of the same disturbance.

      Yes quietude flowers but there is none to note this.

      And this very quietude is the very pattern of events.

      A pattern of events which includes a  sense of restlessness...... for which chaos  is chaotic.

      Akin  the quietude of the sleeping form in a 6 X 4 cot, which remains unaffected while the ethos, pathos and frenzy of the night-sleep dream drama is getting played out.

      Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is
      like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of
      walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.

      ~Ramana Maharshi

      This may suggest that what is being propounded is to avoid the world and its issues, .......a criticism often  made of a  living a life of a recluse in the middle of a forest or on top of a mountain.

      The world travels with you, irrespective of  the location.

      What Raman is suggesting is that since the world along with all it's beauty and all it's warts....is a projection of you........deal with the source.

      Rather than cleaning the screen, look  for motes of dust on  the glass-face  of the torchlight  throwing a beam of light on the screen.

      If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it,
      then what you are undergoes transformation. Seeing the problem and
      attempting to fix it, is akin to employing a fox to protect the chickens.

      ~J. Krishnamurti

      You can never understand what you are.

      Understanding is only more thought hoopla.

      When the need to change oneself...... the world..... anything is absent....

      .....the need for any transformation is absent.

      This absence cannot be achieved, cannot be cultivated, cannot be experienced cannot be reached and thus cannot be made into an objective to be attained.

      And that is why the mind cannot establish a relationship with it, ..........for it is not of the domain of mentation.

      We listen with hope and fear; we seek the light of another but are not
      alertly passive to be able to understand. If the liberated seems to
      fulfill our desires we accept him; if not, we continue our search for
      the one who will; what most of us desire is gratification at different

      We do not desire gratification at different levels.

      The very desire for gratification whether it is of the liberation type or sensual  or physical....is the very sense of a "we" or "me".

      What is important is not how to recognize one who is liberated
      but how to understand yourself.

      The positing of a "how"  can only arise with an apriori issue to be resolved.

      An issue can only exist for an entity.

      And it's back to the same round and round the mulberry bush.

      No authority here or hereafter can
      give you knowledge of yourself; without self knowledge there is no
      liberation from ignorance, from sorrow.

      ~J. Krishnamurti

      Jiddu went on and on for close to 5 decades  that there is no authority.

      And all that resulted was he (and the JK Foundation subsequently)becoming the authority on this path of no authority.

      His famous dictum was Truth is a Pathless territory and that very dictum establishes the territorial parameters .

      There is no scripture in which contradiction
      does not exist.  It is the contradiction which
      makes the music of the message.

        - Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Because a scripture, any scripture is a collection of speakings which happened in the moment.

      The relevance, the appropriateness of the speaking was for the moment in which the speaking happened.

      The moment which included the state of the questioner, the seeker, which invoked the specific response.

      The mental churning of all that is recalled of the speakings.......later on in time.........with the invariable comparing is bound to throw up contradictions.

      For just like snowflakes...... no two moment is the same.

      Meister Eckhart:

      Do all you do, acting from the core of your soul, without a single "Why"... Thus, if you ask a genuine person, that is, one who acts from his heart: "Why are you doing that?" -- he will reply in the only possible way: "I do it because I do It!" [The just man] wants nothing, seeks nothing, and has no reason for doing anything.

      The sun shines, becuase not-shining is not possible for it.

      That shining may effect life, may dole out death.

      But the sun continues to shine in continued indifference.

       As God, having no motives, acts without them, so the just man acts without motives. As life lives on for its own sake, needing no reason for being, so the just man has no reason for doing what he does.

      Nothing matters.

      And precisley because nothing matters, everything is possible to appear to be.