Re: "Awareness" is not an experience

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
      The Buddha explained nirvana as "the unconditioned" , "unborn," awareness that is perfectly lucid due to the cessation of the production of volitional self-formations. This is described by the Buddha as "deathlessness" (Pali: amata or amaravati)

      The Buddha discusses in the context of nirvana a kind of awareness described as: without feature, without end, luminous all around.

      Rather than being fascinated by spiritual experiences, awareness lets any experiences go. Being fascinated by some kind of enlightenment experience is called "the stench of enlightenment" in Zen. It is considered counterproductive to opening to truth.

      Experiences are transitory. Fascination with experience is therefore an attempt of the self to anchor. Awareness without attachment is lucidity.

      A good antidote to fascination with experiences of "enlightenment" is to be aware of their transitory nature, and to be aware that all of one's experiences are gone upon one's death.

      Zen Master Hakuin credited his awareness of death's certainty with setting him on the path to awakening. Pondering the torments of hell as a child filled him with dread and aroused a determined search for liberation. Zen Master Dogen's quest too, was inspired by a deep awareness of death while still in childhood. Watching the rising smoke of incense at his mother's funeral when he was only eight years old, he resolved to enter monastic life. As a teacher, Dogen often asserted that the knowledge of impermanence was the beginning of practice.

      Don't be afraid to come face to face with your own demise.

      And if you are afraid, don't deny that fear by attaching to the notion of having had an enlightenment experience.

      Instead, be the fear.

      It is humbling, but opening.

      Awakeness is humility.

      The meek shall inherit the wind of no-thingness, which is to be awake.

      It is one's death that reveals the unborn, uncreated, unconditional truth at the heart of one's being.

      This is *awake* -- not a self-gratifying experience.

      -- D --
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
        "Sometimes he appears to be a Fool, sometimes a wise man. Sometimes he seems splendid as a king, sometimes feeble-minded. Sometimes he is calm and silent. Sometimes he draws men to him. Sometimes people honor him greatly, sometimes they insult him. Sometimes they ignore him." Sri Shankara goes on: "The ignorant see the body of a knower of Brahman and identify him with it. Actually he is free from the body and every other kind of bondage. To him the body is merely a shadow."
      • dan330033
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
          From a Zen talk posted at:

          http://community.zen-sangha.org/?tag=bokusan

          When you reach this point of "no stink of enlightenment" where there is no trace, you vow with great determination to let the absence of enlightenment continue long, long, long like a single rail of iron for myriad miles. This is Great Practice that encompasses the entire future. - Bokusan

          As the old saying goes, "Zen is like soap. First we wash with it and then we wash it off."

          Bokusan
        • dan330033
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
            http://www.intuition.org/txt/shinzen.htm

            MISHLOVE: One of the terms that has often stuck in my mind -- I think it comes from the Zen tradition -- with regard to beginners in the meditation practice, is a phrase called, "the stink of enlightenment."

            YOUNG: Yes, that's a pretty advanced topic. When you have meditated for a long time, you no longer carry with you the overt qualities of religiosity. Very often you've gone beyond that. You may know what miso is; I don't know if everybody that will hear this program knows what that is.

            MISHLOVE: Miso is made from soybeans.

            YOUNG: It's a soybean product, and it's very, very smelly. It has a distinctive odor. But in Japan they say that the highest-quality miso does not smell of miso, and the highest-quality enlightenment does not smell of enlightenment.
          • sandeep chatterjee
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
              Jeff,

              In "unbounded, unlimited happiness", in the absence of the contrast, there is actually nothing as happiness.

              And hence no experience of this  "unbounded, unlimited happiness".

              In unbounded, unlimited chaos, there is nothing as chaos to be experienced.

              In unbounded, unlimited bliss, there is nothing as bliss to be experienced.

              An experience is always the experience of the contrast.

              That which contains and is both the "contrastings".......can it ever be an experience, which can be noted, observed and thus described, averred and defended?

              That which can be noted, observed, thus described, averred and defended is mere baloney of thought.

              Yes thought invest in itself and this investment is the sense of one's own identity.

              See through all that crap and be done with it, Jeff.

              Now coming to the dude under the Bodhi Tree.

              After the dude moved on...........there were close to 33 different schools of Buddhist thought all of which were claiming to be the true representative of what Buddha spoke, what Buddha meant when he spoke et al.

              On such hoopla........ is the investment and the stake which defines one's sense of identity.

              Jeff, there has never been any dark ignorance to emerge into light.

              Yes, such bromides are espoused...... continues to be espoused..........because unless something as "Eternal Light", "Total Bliss", "Unbounded unlimited happiness", "satisfying meal" etc etc......

              .......is posited...........how can you build an organization, how can you develop a following?

              Peddled hope and the peddling of the exclusive handle on the means to that hope...
              ...is the basic tenet of any con-game.

              So has terms like bliss never been used?

              It has............but the usage of a term like bliss has been used to point to the absence of pain/grief/suffering......not to give an objective for the self/mind to now chase.

              SatChitAnand...........the usage of the word Sat(Truth)to point to the absence of the False.......an absence in which even the term Sat is erased.

              Why is Sat erased?

              In the absence of the contrasting Falsity.........what Truth(Absolute, Relative, Eternal, Primordial etc etc)......what Truth can exist?

              Chit (Consciousness) to point to the absence of un-consciousness......which in fact demolishes Chit itself.

              Anand(Joy) to point to the absence of sorrow........not positing that Anand is to be chased.

              Since SatChitAnand itself became the peddled hope,(just like what you appear to be doing) various dudes, including the dude under Bodhi.........negated even this description.

              Buddha remained silent to the question what next after Nirvan...

              .....pointing by that very silence.......that at Nirvana........there is neither a questioner...... nor a recepient of any answer.

              Neither an affirmer of any experience, nor a negator of any experience.

              But the hoping mind/self can convert anything into a hope to be chased.

              Silence was now the holy grail to be chased and there were/are enough people offering techniques, methods to reach/experience and then propound the description of the experience of silence.

              That which is neither silence nor is it the absence of silence.....

              .....cannot be formulated by the mind/self/entity into an icon of hope and thus chased.

              Or even conclude that "it" has been achieved and that such and such is what "it" is

               and this is how "it" can be captured into the realm of experience.

              In fact the very referencing........ let alone the description of the reference....

              .... is a hoopla within this display of what would it be like, if something could ever be.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                Sandeep -

                Indeed.

                Any localization of experience is maya, is illusory.

                And this illusion results from the no-thing that has no qualities, but that therefore is infinite possible possibilities.

                Infinite possible possibilities, include the possibility of imagined (imaged) space-time experience.

                Thus, the emergence of this imagined (imaged) conversation we're having.

                Which involves contrast, yin-yang, up-down, here-there.

                And we have infinite versions of it.

                And none of it occupies any actual space and time.

                Yet the desire or intent to have continuity in time-space also occurs as an imagined possibility. As the "investment" and "identity" that you discussed.

                And this intent, too, is understood as a momentary appearance, an imagined localization, that never really is strung together sequentially to create an entity.

                So, nothing has happened.

                And even this nothing, not.

                - D -