Ram Das Story

  • texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Baba Ram Das (Richard Alpert to the older hippies) told a story which
      I would like to paraphrase. This is the way I remember it.

      He (Ram Das) was sitting meditating one afternoon when a cab pulled
      up and discharged a man and woman. Ram Das had been left in charge
      of his father's estate while everyone but he was away.

      The cab pulled away. The couple were invited inside for tea. When
      served the man took the woman's tea drank it then his own and
      proclaimed himself to be Gautama Buddha. Ram Das had been a doctor
      of psychology for years and was a little skeptical.

      He could not send them away because it was already night and so he
      said they could stay but would have to leave in the morning as it was
      his father's house and he was responsible for it.

      They went to their rooms for the night and soon he was awakened by a
      clatter and noises. The man was destroying the room. He quieted
      them but it happened again this time the man wearing his father's
      clothes and hats. When he saw this he went into a rage while the
      whole time the man yelled that he was Gautama Buddha.

      Then enlightenment came and Ram Das grew silent. He said," Now I
      know who you are. I never want to see you but I am glad when you
      come" (or something like that.) They sat down together and it was
      the hightest meditation he had ever known.

      The next day he packed them off.

      Several things. It was a great learning experience. He found out
      something about himself. He was responsible for his father's house
      and could not let the man stay and destroy it. If he had thought of
      it as his house he might have quibbled and thought that because the
      fellow was so high he could not tell him what to do.

      I never really liked Ram Das for what he did to Tim Leary but he
      taught me a lot.

      Love
      Bobby G.