Witness Meditation (#42)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 4:18 PM
      We received an email questioning the meaning of
      the term Witness that is found very often on our
      web site, Meditation Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      There actually is a technique there that is titled
      "Witness Meditation (#42)" that pretty well describes
      the Witness and its functioning. I hope this will be
      of benefit to you. Enjoy!
      Witness Meditation (#42)

      You have a Witness within you that can observe
      your mind, body, and emotions. As long as your
      consciousness is attached to a human body, there
      will be stimuli impacting you from the environment.
      You will react physically, mentally, and emotionally
      - one way more than the other two. The predominant
      way you react is your primary problem; you are
      controlled by it.

      To demonstrate this, let's call a physically reactive
      person "Human #1", a mentally reactive person "Human #2",
      and an emotionally reactive person "Human #3".

      If you punch Human #1 in the arm, he may punch you
      back. Human #2 may start to analyze the situation
      in a way such as "I have just been struck. I may have
      suffered cellular damage. Perhaps I should run away."
      Human #3, when punched, may simply start crying.
      Everyone is either Human #1, #2, or #3. One is neither
      better nor worse than another; each one is a slave
      to reaction and suffers because of it.

      If you can quiet your mind, which will happen
      with meditation, your Witness can see in which
      way you are predominantly reactive. This will be
      the start of gaining inner freedom. Ultimately you
      will gain control of that primary controlling aspect
      and strengthen the other two until all are equally
      strong. You will then be a well-balanced, self-controlling
      person, able to act and not just react. This is
      Human #4.

      It all starts with knowing your Witness and this
      can start now. As you read this, be conscious of
      your body; is there any unnecessary tension? Check
      your feet, legs, torso, arms, neck, head; are you
      using any unnecessary muscles? Command them to relax
      - they will. Now be conscious of your emotions; witness
      them now; are you happy, sad, joyous, depressed, feeling,
      or non-feeling? What is your intellect doing now? Are
      you fantasizing about something? Are you judging or
      comparing anything?

      Witness without comment, passion, or any reactivity.
      Simply witness. There is a consciousness looking
      out of your eyes, listening with your ears, smelling
      with your nose, tasting with your tongue, and feeling
      with your skin. It is aware of your emotions and
      mentation. Merge with this Conscious Witness. It is
      your Real Self. Know your Self, and know true infinite
      freedom, transcendent of mind, body, and emotions,
      which are all finite.