Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , May 16, 2009
      Be an Instrument of Peace

      "I heard Mother Teresa say: `I'm nothing but
      a pencil in God's hands.' St. Francis begged
      God: `Lord, please make me an instrument of
      your peace.' We are all instruments of God.
      The animals, plants and other species don't
      seem to know that they are doing something—they
      just are instruments. That's why they are safe.
      As for we humans, God has given us the capacity
      to know that something is happening through us.
      This is probably a challenge placed before us
      by God: Take the credit or pass the credit?
      Those who know that God is working through them
      and that they are only instruments are the ones
      who have the highest wisdom. By acquiring that
      wisdom, we will live in constant peace and happiness.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.