Quantum Mechanics and How The Mind Works

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2009
      Quantum Mechanics Could Be Used To Describe
      The Way Memory Works And Revolutionise The
      Way We Think About The Human Mind

      Science and technology researcher Professor
      Peter Bruza is leading a study to explore the
      similarities between associations in human and
      the quantum correlations, also known as quantum
      entanglement.

      Professor Bruza said entanglement was a bizarre
      phenomenon in which seemingly separate quantum
      systems behaved as one.

      "In quantum mechanics, systems are physically
      non-separable, and this characteristic trait is
      called entanglement," he said.

      "The key to our research is to consider non-separability
      as something applicable to the cognitive realm of memory."

      Professor Bruza said like the systems found in
      quantum mechanics, words were inseparable from
      their associated words.

      "Whenever a person recalls a word, associated words
      always come to mind, and, in fact, it is impossible
      to not recall those associated words," he said.

      "For example, if I say the word 'bat' and ask
      you to tell me the next word you think of, it
      might be 'vampire'. Then if I ask you to do the
      same with the word 'boxer', you might reply 'dog'.

      "In this case, we could speculate that the words
      'bat' and 'boxer' are entangled in your memory
      because after associating bat with an animal, you
      also associated boxer with an animal instead of with sport.

      "This would be significant because experiments
      show people are predisposed to associate the
      word 'boxer' with sport and are more likely to
      choose a word like 'gloves'.

      "The way people associate words is very
      intriguing. It could revolutionise how we
      understand the workings of human memory.

      "Ultimately we are hoping this theory will
      lead to a new genre of information processing
      technology that is genuinely aligned with human cognition."

      Professor Bruza's team has joined with empirical
      psychologists at the University of South Florida,
      US, to undertake the Quantum mechanics of semantic
      space study, which has received an Australian
      Research Council Discovery grant.

      "Fundamentally the study is about gaining an
      understanding of the intriguing connections between
      cognitive science and quantum theory," he said.

      "We are investigating whether mathematical similarities
      between word associations and quantum theory could
      lead to totally new models of how humans process
      words and meaning."

      Professor Bruza said quantum theory was probably
      the most stunningly successful theory ever devised.

      "At present, there are no known experimental
      deviations from its predictions," he said.

      "While often thought of as only applying to the
      sub-atomic realm, quantum theory is also crucial
      for explaining why stars shine, how the universe
      formed and the stability of matter."

      Source:
      Rachael Wilson
      Queensland University of Technology