Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Apr 25 10:14 AM
      Be Nothing

      "When you really understand the limitations
      of your physical level and your mental level,
      then you become really thirsty to get into
      the spiritual level. Then, you know that
      what you have known, what you have learned
      and what you have understood all these years
      is just nothing. You become, actually,
      nothing; in the words of the Zen philosophy:
      you have to become nothing. Until this stage,
      you feel that you are something. Don't we
      hear people saying, `Oh, he or she is really
      something'? But that something should become
      nothing. When we really become nothing, then
      we get into a sphere where we become everything.
      And that nothingness is expressed as devotion,
      faith, respect and humility. It really takes
      a lot of courage to let go and to be nothing.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda