Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 201 , Apr 4, 2009
      Freedom from Desire

      "When you dedicate everything to God, you
      are free from being affected by the dualities:
      ups and downs, pleasure and pain, merit and
      demerit. That means that you achieve chitta
      vritti nirodhah, the cessation of the
      fluctuations of mind, which is the goal
      f Yoga. Thought forms happen because of
      desires and because of the desire to possess
      the reactions of your action. When you are
      free of these desires, then there are no
      fluctuations; the mind is clean and enjoys
      rest. That is called tranquility of mind.
      Those interested in tranquility of mind should
      act just for the sake of the action, for the
      benefit of the universe, not for one's own
      benefit. It is only when a personal motive is
      present that we are we subject to the dualities
      and that we become perturbed. It's for our own
      peace that we dedicate all the actions to God,
      to Nature or to others.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 201 of 201 , Jul 24
        "When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always."
        Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda