Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Apr 4, 2009
      Freedom from Desire

      "When you dedicate everything to God, you
      are free from being affected by the dualities:
      ups and downs, pleasure and pain, merit and
      demerit. That means that you achieve chitta
      vritti nirodhah, the cessation of the
      fluctuations of mind, which is the goal
      f Yoga. Thought forms happen because of
      desires and because of the desire to possess
      the reactions of your action. When you are
      free of these desires, then there are no
      fluctuations; the mind is clean and enjoys
      rest. That is called tranquility of mind.
      Those interested in tranquility of mind should
      act just for the sake of the action, for the
      benefit of the universe, not for one's own
      benefit. It is only when a personal motive is
      present that we are we subject to the dualities
      and that we become perturbed. It's for our own
      peace that we dedicate all the actions to God,
      to Nature or to others.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.