A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
      A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

      You're sitting comfortably in your favorite spot,
      all is well, you're calm, cool, and collected.
      You start to meditate, perhaps repeating a mantra,
      and then you find you just can't concentrate.
      Let's say that you intend to say OM over and over.
      What sometimes happens is that after you say OM a
      few times, your inner chatterer starts making
      comments. It may go like this…"Om sounds like home.
      Boy, wouldn't it be nice to buy a new home." And
      then it continues "They just built a few new homes
      in New Jersey. If I take the turnpike I can get
      there pretty quickly. But there may be a lot of
      traffic. I might get stuck in it for hours", and
      so on, and so on. So, there you are, not just not
      experiencing OM, but now you're in gridlock and
      starting to feel road rage! Then, you realize that
      you've lost your concentration and instead of just
      returning to meditating on OM, your inner chatterer
      starts chastising you with statements like "You
      can't meditate! You're no good! You're incompetent!'
      and so on. Then it starts filling you with self-pity
      things like "I suffer so. If only I could control
      my mind, but I can't and never will." Of course,
      this is even further away from OM than driving on
      the turnpike. But there is also something very good
      happening as well, and it may prove to be far more
      beneficial in the long run than if you would have
      had a meditation that included visions of heaven and
      feelings of bliss.

      There is an awareness, a consciousness within
      you that is a silent Witness to everything your
      senses react with, your mind thinks, and your
      emotions feel. It has been witnessing since you
      were born. When you were a baby and couldn't
      judge, compare, or comment in any way about
      anything, it was already witnessing. As a matter
      of fact, this Witness is your only hope of eternal
      life. Your body will drop. Your thoughts and
      emotions will stop. These things have never had
      any permanence whatsoever. The only thing about
      them that never changes is that they are always
      changing. Our Witness is the only part of us
      that has been changeless and is the only part
      of us that has the possibility of surviving death.
      You are not your body, you are not your emotions,
      you are not your mind. The Witness is the Real
      Self. When you meditate it is the Witness who
      will recognize that you have stopped concentrating,
      or are distracted, or are demeaning yourself.
      You then can stop it and direct your consciousness
      to what is appropriate. This is Real Self-control.

      This puts you in the position of benefiting
      greatly when your attempt at meditation "fails".
      You will begin to recognize not just that you
      have lost your concentration, but what caused
      you to divert your attention. Sometimes you will
      be able to become aware of habitual behaviors
      that have distracted you. For instance, sounds
      or other physical sensations may cause you to
      tense up or get emotional. Certain type thoughts
      or emotions, like lustful ones, may lead to
      diverting your focus. When these subconscious
      reactivities come to the surface under the light
      of the Witness, you will be free from their power.

      There is no doubt that if you realized that your
      head has been hurting because you have been
      banging it against a wall, you would stop doing
      it. And your pain would disappear. Similarly,
      when you cease reacting to the conscious and
      subconscious distractions that have been banging
      you around, your concentration will be firm and
      your meditation will flow freely to you,
      infinitely and eternally. These are the good
      things bad meditations present to you. Most
      importantly, they almost force you to seek refuge
      in your Witness, and the more you do, the more
      you realize and experience the reality of your
      union with the pure consciousness that is your
      real identity. And your suffering ends. So, when
      you are having a "bad" meditation, it is a
      tremendous opportunity to learn and evolve. All
      the things that have been interfering with your
      at-oneness with your Witness will be laid bare
      before you. Therefore, when you're having any
      type meditation, it's "good" and leads to the
      inevitable – living happily ever after.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
              Just wanted to mention that when we get emails or talk
              to people about their having "bad" meditations, as you
              can see, we share this Concept of Meditation here. This
              week we had several such emails and conversations.

              When you stir up the dirt covering the surface
              of your field of heavenly dreams, dust always comes
              up. This is an opportunity to see "who" is reacting
              to it and Who" witnesses it, as well as just physically,
              mentally and emotionally reacting in a rote fashion .
              And that's "good".

              So, perhaps reading this again, or for the 1st time, will
              be of benefit to you. That is certainly the intention.
              Enjoy!