Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 21, 2009
      Just Be
      "The flower doesn't even know it is giving
      fragrance. Does it say, `Here is a nice
      person; I want to be extra nice and give
      her some fragrance?' A candle doesn't even
      know that it is giving light. It is just
      light. Does the candle say, `Hey, look. I'm
      here wasting my time; I'm melting away. Come,
      read or write something?' No. The candle is
      just there. That is what a Karma Yogi is.
      Just by that yogi's very presence, people
      enjoy the light, people enjoy the smell,
      people get the benefit. But, if you feel,
      `I wanted to give, but nobody wanted to
      receive; I'm wasting my time,' then you are
      unhappy. Do you think that people are waiting
      around for you to give them something? Nobody
      is waiting for your gift. But, when they are
      hungry, they will take it. So, just be. Don't
      try to become.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda