Relaxing and Clearing the Mind

  • vdorough555
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2009
      I am new to meditation, and find the concept of revealing my real self very calming and peaceful. I have always had a "busy" mind throughout my life, and I'm finding it quite a challenge to calm and clear the mind during meditation. Can anyone share any ideas or techniques on achieving deeper concentration and focus? I am open to all concepts!
    • Sandeep
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2009

        vdorough555 wrote:

        I am new to meditation, and find the concept of revealing my real self very calming and peaceful. I have always had a "busy" mind throughout my life,

        Do you ever have a mind?

        Or the "busy-ness"......aka a collation of racing thoughts......

        ......infer a container of this activity, popularly named as the mind.

        and I'm finding it quite a challenge to calm and clear the mind during meditation.

        Indeed.

        "To calm" and "to clear" are once again thoughts.

        To try and erase thoughts with thoughts......is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it.

        Can anyone share any ideas or techniques on achieving deeper concentration and focus? I am open to all concepts!

        Observe the breathing.

        Look at the in-coming breath.

        See till what point it travels......... inside.

        At the point, when it repents(turns).........to become the out-going breath....

        ......remain at the point...

        And remaining at that point...........keep on observing............. the inflow and outflow of breath.

        Observe, the movement..........the rhythm.......... the dance of pulsation........... which throws up a display of life...

        ..... which seeming appears to exist, seemingly appears to be so real, so concrete.

        The seemingly appearing to exist-Life....

        ...... in which the notion to calm and clear the mind ....

        ....appears to be a desirable objective.

      • dan330033
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
          Beautiful - well-said, Sandeep.

          One thought seems to touch another, expedited by a "thinker" who is making one thought connect to another.

          Simply being still and aware, no "thinker" is there. The thinker is inferred in the thought. The thought arises and departs.

          This is how thought occurs and dissolves.

          Thought also infers time.

          Without the thought, where and what is time?

          Thanks - good talking with you,

          -- Dan

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

          > vdorough555 wrote:
          > >
          > > I am new to meditation, and find the concept of revealing my real self
          > > very calming and peaceful. I have always had a "busy" mind throughout
          > > my life,
          > >

          > /*Do you ever have a mind?
          >
          > Or the "busy-ness"......aka a collation of racing thoughts......
          >
          > ......infer a container of this activity, popularly named as the mind.
          > */
          >
          > > and I'm finding it quite a challenge to calm and clear the mind during
          > > meditation.
          > >

          > /*Indeed.
          >
          > "To calm" and "to clear" are once again thoughts.
          >
          > To try and erase thoughts with thoughts......is a bit of an oxymoron,
          > isn't it.*/
          >

          > > Can anyone share any ideas or techniques on achieving deeper
          > > concentration and focus? I am open to all concepts!
          > >

          > /*Observe the breathing.
          >
          > Look at the in-coming breath.
          >
          > See till what point it travels......... inside.
          >
          > At the point, when it repents(turns).........to become the out-going
          > breath....
          >
          > ......remain at the point...
          >
          > And remaining at that point...........keep on observing............. the
          > inflow and outflow of breath.
          >
          > Observe, the movement..........the rhythm.......... the dance of
          > pulsation........... which throws up a display of life...
          >
          > ..... which seeming appears to exist, seemingly appears to be so real, so
          > concrete.
          >
          > The seemingly appearing to exist-Life....
          >
          > ...... in which the notion to calm and clear the mind ....
          >
          > ....appears to be a desirable objective.
          >

          > */

        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

            > vdorough555 wrote:
            > >
            > > I am new to meditation, and find the concept of revealing my real self
            > > very calming and peaceful. I have always had a "busy" mind throughout
            > > my life,
            > >

            > /*Do you ever have a mind?
            >
            > Or the "busy-ness"......aka a collation of racing thoughts......
            >
            > ......infer a container of this activity, popularly named as the mind.
            > */
            >
            > > and I'm finding it quite a challenge to calm and clear the mind during
            > > meditation.
            > >

            > /*Indeed.
            >
            > "To calm" and "to clear" are once again thoughts.
            >
            > To try and erase thoughts with thoughts......is a bit of an oxymoron,
            > isn't it.*/
            >

            > > Can anyone share any ideas or techniques on achieving deeper
            > > concentration and focus? I am open to all concepts!
            > >

            > /*Observe the breathing.
            >
            > Look at the in-coming breath.
            >
            > See till what point it travels......... inside.
            >
            > At the point, when it repents(turns).........to become the out-going
            > breath....
            >
            > ......remain at the point...
            >
            > And remaining at that point...........keep on observing............. the
            > inflow and outflow of breath.
            >
            > Observe, the movement..........the rhythm.......... the dance of
            > pulsation........... which throws up a display of life...
            >
            > ..... which seeming appears to exist, seemingly appears to be so real, so
            > concrete.
            >
            > The seemingly appearing to exist-Life....
            >
            > ...... in which the notion to calm and clear the mind ....
            >
            > ....appears to be a desirable objective.
            >

            > */

            Simply irresistible.
            Beautifully simple.
            Notice the breath.
            Fade to silence.

            Extraordinary use
            of the word 'repent'.

            Jeff
          • Sandeep
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
              Hello Dan.

              Good to see you here.

              Yes, thought constructs time and thus a sense of duration appears and thus the personal story is possible to emerge,
              the story with elements of profanity and profoundity..........a story  filled with quests.....

              ..... quest for resolving the sub-prime crisis............ quest to quieten the mind.

              Thought constructs time and  in turn  gets constructed by time.

              A Yin-Yang dance.