Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 15, 2009
      What Else Does Anyone Want?
      "For a long time, I had this saying on my
      stationery: `It's all Your name. It's all
      Your form. It's all Your deed. And it's
      all for good.' Since childhood, I have believed
      that, and I don't think I ever regretted having
      that belief. It is that belief that always
      keeps me sane, that keeps me peaceful, never
      too upset over anything. Why? Because it's all
      for good. Maybe you might say, `Oh that's an easy
      way of escaping.' Well, whether it's escaping or
      not, all I get is my peace. That is something
      more precious to me than anything in the world.
      You may call it escapism or blind faith, but what
      it is to me is that I am retaining my peace.
      Because of that peace, I am always joyful, always
      happy. What else would anyone want?

      God bless you. OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda