RE: [Meditation Society of America] Yet another Beginner ???

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009

      If you want a dead simple, perfectly clear outline of how to start, borrow (library) or buy a small mass-market paperback edition of Lawrence LeShan’s “How to Meditate”.  There are a great many other useful meditation guides as well.  Jon Kabat-Zin’s “Wherever You Go, There You Are” is one you may find helpful.

      It’s actually very simple, which is definitely not the same as saying that it’s easy.  Just do it, without worrying about whether you’re doing it “right”, & without any expectations.

      Pay full attention to the breath.  Don’t think about it.  The breath will continue without your thinking about it or trying to control it – you are not really breathing so much as you are being breathed.  When your mind starts to comment or judge or natter about something, gently & patiently bring your focus back to the matter at hand i. e. breath going in, breath going out.  Do that over & over & over & over …