Yet another Beginner ???

  • fatheroferos@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009

      Hey chuk,,i have an awesome idea...this is how it all started for myself,,,and it should answer your question for ya...ready???????????????????? just so you know my practice is in self observation taught by s.n. goenka,,and i formulated my own practice from that,,,if self observation interests you, then this email might be of help.

      yes,,,use a watch or a clock just to keep track of your progess

      sit in a chair if you like,,,nice and tall

      close your eyes and just take notice of the breathe going in and out of the nostrils...in my tradition,,,

      try to take notice of any sensation the air feels on your nostrils...do this for 20 minutes.....the point...to increase your ability to be self aware...then......................

      do a 20 minute buddhist meditational walk...( if you have to google it to know how to do it),,this will condition your mind to be aware during movement, then grab your sneakers, and go for a 10 minute  jog with the same aim in mind,,,continue to self observe all sensations..when your done with your jog,,your ability to self observe strengthens. Self observation for me is a beautiful thing......have any other questions, drop an email, i would love to help!!

      eric

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009

        If you want a dead simple, perfectly clear outline of how to start, borrow (library) or buy a small mass-market paperback edition of Lawrence LeShan’s “How to Meditate”.  There are a great many other useful meditation guides as well.  Jon Kabat-Zin’s “Wherever You Go, There You Are” is one you may find helpful.

        It’s actually very simple, which is definitely not the same as saying that it’s easy.  Just do it, without worrying about whether you’re doing it “right”, & without any expectations.

        Pay full attention to the breath.  Don’t think about it.  The breath will continue without your thinking about it or trying to control it – you are not really breathing so much as you are being breathed.  When your mind starts to comment or judge or natter about something, gently & patiently bring your focus back to the matter at hand i. e. breath going in, breath going out.  Do that over & over & over & over …