Re: Pre Meditative Exercises

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      <jeff@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sanjiv Sahay"
      > <sanjivs77@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
      > > mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
      > > Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
      > > properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
      > > mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.
      > >
      > > Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Sanjiv
      > >

      > Savasana

      Savasana (the Corpse Pose)
      By Bette Rose

      In Hatha Yoga, as in life itself, relaxation
      reigns supreme. It can actually be more
      beneficial than the postures themselves.
      That's why, both before and after practicing
      various asanas, it is essential to relax the
      body and the mind.
      Savasana Pose, also known as the Corpse Pose,
      is so titled because we imitate a dead
      body! We consciously relax all of our muscles,
      nerves, bones, organs, etc. Lying flat on
      the back, keep the hands on the ground by
      your sides, palms facing up. Stretch the legs
      out straight, around one foot apart, allowing
      the feet to fall slightly outward. Closing the
      eyes, turn your thoughts inwardly and try to
      focus on the gentle rise and fall of the
      breath – becoming "dead" to the outside world
      and it's events. Start relaxing the body at
      the toes, proceeding up the leg muscles, back
      muscles, chest, arms, forearms, hands,
      neck, face, scalp. Follow the breath as you
      inhale deeply into the abdomen and base of
      the spine, and as you exhale, imagine the air
      circulating up to the crown of the head.
      Then, allow the breath to soften and quiet
      and feel the waves of calm washing over your
      whole body. Realize that you are in a place
      between wakefulness and sleep – between
      consciousness and unconsciousness. Meditate
      quietly – do not sleep – just relax.

      It's traditional to begin and end yoga practice
      with the corpse. At the start it helps to
      center and focus the thoughts and let go of
      the days activities in preparation for asana.
      But it is most effective and beneficial after
      our muscles have been stretched and strained.
      That is why it is essential to end every Hatha
      Yoga session in this restful way. Notice the
      warmth and looseness in the structure of the
      legs, arms, and spine.

      Savasana is both calming and rejuvenating. Feel
      the respiration and heartbeat subside.
      Let the mind and body "die" to the past and
      future, residing only in the now. The oxygen
      and carbon dioxide interchange is now noticeably
      flowing through every cell in your
      body. Stretching and subsequent relaxation of
      the muscles creates a natural reaction of
      bringing the mind to rest – so eternally and
      undeniably connected are the body and
      mind. Destroy attachment, desire, restlessness,
      and anger. Replace them with freedom,
      contentedness, peace and love.

      Savasana is at the root of meditation. If we can
      truly leave the physical body, we will merge with
      the eternal light and life that is true Cosmic Consciousness.

      Bette has practiced and shared Hatha Yoga techniques
      for over 25 years. She is the Vice President of
      the Meditation Society of America. This article first
      appeared in our newsletter, The Inner Traveler, issue #2