Re: Pre Meditative Exercises

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sanjiv Sahay"
      <sanjivs77@...> wrote:

      > Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
      > mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
      > Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
      > properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
      > mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.
      >
      > Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Sanjiv

      Savasana
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        <jeff@...> wrote:

        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sanjiv Sahay"
        > <sanjivs77@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
        > > mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
        > > Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
        > > properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
        > > mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.
        > >
        > > Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Sanjiv
        > >

        > Savasana

        Savasana (the Corpse Pose)
        By Bette Rose

        In Hatha Yoga, as in life itself, relaxation
        reigns supreme. It can actually be more
        beneficial than the postures themselves.
        That's why, both before and after practicing
        various asanas, it is essential to relax the
        body and the mind.
        Savasana Pose, also known as the Corpse Pose,
        is so titled because we imitate a dead
        body! We consciously relax all of our muscles,
        nerves, bones, organs, etc. Lying flat on
        the back, keep the hands on the ground by
        your sides, palms facing up. Stretch the legs
        out straight, around one foot apart, allowing
        the feet to fall slightly outward. Closing the
        eyes, turn your thoughts inwardly and try to
        focus on the gentle rise and fall of the
        breath – becoming "dead" to the outside world
        and it's events. Start relaxing the body at
        the toes, proceeding up the leg muscles, back
        muscles, chest, arms, forearms, hands,
        neck, face, scalp. Follow the breath as you
        inhale deeply into the abdomen and base of
        the spine, and as you exhale, imagine the air
        circulating up to the crown of the head.
        Then, allow the breath to soften and quiet
        and feel the waves of calm washing over your
        whole body. Realize that you are in a place
        between wakefulness and sleep – between
        consciousness and unconsciousness. Meditate
        quietly – do not sleep – just relax.

        It's traditional to begin and end yoga practice
        with the corpse. At the start it helps to
        center and focus the thoughts and let go of
        the days activities in preparation for asana.
        But it is most effective and beneficial after
        our muscles have been stretched and strained.
        That is why it is essential to end every Hatha
        Yoga session in this restful way. Notice the
        warmth and looseness in the structure of the
        legs, arms, and spine.

        Savasana is both calming and rejuvenating. Feel
        the respiration and heartbeat subside.
        Let the mind and body "die" to the past and
        future, residing only in the now. The oxygen
        and carbon dioxide interchange is now noticeably
        flowing through every cell in your
        body. Stretching and subsequent relaxation of
        the muscles creates a natural reaction of
        bringing the mind to rest – so eternally and
        undeniably connected are the body and
        mind. Destroy attachment, desire, restlessness,
        and anger. Replace them with freedom,
        contentedness, peace and love.

        Savasana is at the root of meditation. If we can
        truly leave the physical body, we will merge with
        the eternal light and life that is true Cosmic Consciousness.

        Bette has practiced and shared Hatha Yoga techniques
        for over 25 years. She is the Vice President of
        the Meditation Society of America. This article first
        appeared in our newsletter, The Inner Traveler, issue #2