Pre Meditative Exercises

  • Sanjiv Sahay
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
      mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
      Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
      properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
      mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.

      Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
      Thanks,

      Sanjiv
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sanjiv Sahay"
        <sanjivs77@...> wrote:

        > Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
        > mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
        > Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
        > properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
        > mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.
        >
        > Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sanjiv

        Savasana
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          <jeff@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sanjiv Sahay"
          > <sanjivs77@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Which pre meditative exercises would be the most suitable to calm the
          > > mind prior to meditation? I have tried Pranayama (Nadi Sodhana
          > > Pranayama) - which is quite effective, but quite difficult to do
          > > properly. Also, there are warnings about Pranayama leading to pre-
          > > mature awakening of the Kundalini, with all it's consequences.
          > >
          > > Are there any Yoga Asanas that can help calm the mind?
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Sanjiv
          > >

          > Savasana

          Savasana (the Corpse Pose)
          By Bette Rose

          In Hatha Yoga, as in life itself, relaxation
          reigns supreme. It can actually be more
          beneficial than the postures themselves.
          That's why, both before and after practicing
          various asanas, it is essential to relax the
          body and the mind.
          Savasana Pose, also known as the Corpse Pose,
          is so titled because we imitate a dead
          body! We consciously relax all of our muscles,
          nerves, bones, organs, etc. Lying flat on
          the back, keep the hands on the ground by
          your sides, palms facing up. Stretch the legs
          out straight, around one foot apart, allowing
          the feet to fall slightly outward. Closing the
          eyes, turn your thoughts inwardly and try to
          focus on the gentle rise and fall of the
          breath – becoming "dead" to the outside world
          and it's events. Start relaxing the body at
          the toes, proceeding up the leg muscles, back
          muscles, chest, arms, forearms, hands,
          neck, face, scalp. Follow the breath as you
          inhale deeply into the abdomen and base of
          the spine, and as you exhale, imagine the air
          circulating up to the crown of the head.
          Then, allow the breath to soften and quiet
          and feel the waves of calm washing over your
          whole body. Realize that you are in a place
          between wakefulness and sleep – between
          consciousness and unconsciousness. Meditate
          quietly – do not sleep – just relax.

          It's traditional to begin and end yoga practice
          with the corpse. At the start it helps to
          center and focus the thoughts and let go of
          the days activities in preparation for asana.
          But it is most effective and beneficial after
          our muscles have been stretched and strained.
          That is why it is essential to end every Hatha
          Yoga session in this restful way. Notice the
          warmth and looseness in the structure of the
          legs, arms, and spine.

          Savasana is both calming and rejuvenating. Feel
          the respiration and heartbeat subside.
          Let the mind and body "die" to the past and
          future, residing only in the now. The oxygen
          and carbon dioxide interchange is now noticeably
          flowing through every cell in your
          body. Stretching and subsequent relaxation of
          the muscles creates a natural reaction of
          bringing the mind to rest – so eternally and
          undeniably connected are the body and
          mind. Destroy attachment, desire, restlessness,
          and anger. Replace them with freedom,
          contentedness, peace and love.

          Savasana is at the root of meditation. If we can
          truly leave the physical body, we will merge with
          the eternal light and life that is true Cosmic Consciousness.

          Bette has practiced and shared Hatha Yoga techniques
          for over 25 years. She is the Vice President of
          the Meditation Society of America. This article first
          appeared in our newsletter, The Inner Traveler, issue #2