Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
      As would the native peoples of
      the arctic and many other places,
      which is one of the reasons why
      treating vegetarianism as
      mandatory is so counterproductive
      -- in a fertile region like the
      subcontinent, it's not surprising
      that it became part of the
      various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
      spiritual traditions, but there
      are entire regions where humans
      must depend on local fauna to
      preprocess the scant available
      nutrition. Of course a truly
      doctrinaire vegetarian would say
      "don't live there!" :-)

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
        Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
        Deborah.

        deborah5552001 wrote:
        > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
        >
        > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
        >
        > Deborah
        >

        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
        > <editor@...> wrote:
        >
        >> That's a pretty popular opinion
        >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
        >> from eating flesh myself, but I
        >> also refrain from judging those
        >> do. Folks who really want to
        >> promote vegetarianism would do
        >> well to be as careful about what
        >> comes out of their mouths as
        >> they are about what goes in --
        >> guilt is a very poor motivation
        >> for lasting lifestyle change.
        >> Direct insight into the karma
        >> involved is much more effective,
        >> and sudden interjection of
        >> guilt mongering into a topic not
        >> directly related is usually
        >> counterproductive.
        >>

        >> sean tremblay wrote:
        >>
        >>> Huh?

      • krishnan sundaram
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
          Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
            <krish_cost@...> wrote:

            > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
            flesh eater"

            Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
            eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
            reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
            meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
            intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
            seems a bit uncompassionate.
            Peace and blessings,
            Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

            co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
            > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
            > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
            > > Lucile
            > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
            > > please
            > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
            > > Communication &
            > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
            > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
            > >
            > > Stanford University Medical Center
            > > ----------
            > >
            > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
            > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
            136540.php>

            > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
            > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
            r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

            > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

          • Sandeep
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

              <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

              > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
              flesh eater"

              Which includes the flesh of plants?

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                  I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me