Re: New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • deborah5552001
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
      Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

      That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

      Deborah

      <editor@...> wrote:

      > That's a pretty popular opinion
      > on the subcontinent -- I refrain
      > from eating flesh myself, but I
      > also refrain from judging those
      > do. Folks who really want to
      > promote vegetarianism would do
      > well to be as careful about what
      > comes out of their mouths as
      > they are about what goes in --
      > guilt is a very poor motivation
      > for lasting lifestyle change.
      > Direct insight into the karma
      > involved is much more effective,
      > and sudden interjection of
      > guilt mongering into a topic not
      > directly related is usually
      > counterproductive.
      >

      > sean tremblay wrote:
      > > Huh?

      <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_messenger_6/*http://messenger.yahoo.co
      m/invite/>

    • Bruce Morgen
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
        As would the native peoples of
        the arctic and many other places,
        which is one of the reasons why
        treating vegetarianism as
        mandatory is so counterproductive
        -- in a fertile region like the
        subcontinent, it's not surprising
        that it became part of the
        various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
        spiritual traditions, but there
        are entire regions where humans
        must depend on local fauna to
        preprocess the scant available
        nutrition. Of course a truly
        doctrinaire vegetarian would say
        "don't live there!" :-)

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
          Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
          Deborah.

          deborah5552001 wrote:
          > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
          >
          > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
          >
          > Deborah
          >

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
          > <editor@...> wrote:
          >
          >> That's a pretty popular opinion
          >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
          >> from eating flesh myself, but I
          >> also refrain from judging those
          >> do. Folks who really want to
          >> promote vegetarianism would do
          >> well to be as careful about what
          >> comes out of their mouths as
          >> they are about what goes in --
          >> guilt is a very poor motivation
          >> for lasting lifestyle change.
          >> Direct insight into the karma
          >> involved is much more effective,
          >> and sudden interjection of
          >> guilt mongering into a topic not
          >> directly related is usually
          >> counterproductive.
          >>

          >> sean tremblay wrote:
          >>
          >>> Huh?

        • krishnan sundaram
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
            Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
              <krish_cost@...> wrote:

              > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
              flesh eater"

              Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
              eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
              reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
              meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
              intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
              seems a bit uncompassionate.
              Peace and blessings,
              Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

              co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
              > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
              > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
              > > Lucile
              > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
              > > please
              > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
              > > Communication &
              > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
              > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
              > >
              > > Stanford University Medical Center
              > > ----------
              > >
              > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
              > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
              136540.php>

              > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
              > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
              r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

              > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

            • Sandeep
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                flesh eater"

                Which includes the flesh of plants?

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                  Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                  And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                  Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                    I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me