Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
      Thanks Bob, I apperciate that very much

      --- On Sat, 1/24/09, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 6:48 PM

      sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > Thanks for that Jeff
      > I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of
      compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books
      crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies,
      they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
      > SSG Tremblay, Sean
      > RSIC South
      > Team Viper
      > APO, AE 09355

      snip

      Yo Sean,
      I've posted this info elsewhere and sent it out to many others.
      I really think what you are doing is walking the walk and
      not just studying or talking about compassion. I hope this
      excellent effort goes very well.

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
        Out here in the mountains of Afghanistan, I'd starve to death as a vegitarian!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
          Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

          That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

          Deborah

          <editor@...> wrote:

          > That's a pretty popular opinion
          > on the subcontinent -- I refrain
          > from eating flesh myself, but I
          > also refrain from judging those
          > do. Folks who really want to
          > promote vegetarianism would do
          > well to be as careful about what
          > comes out of their mouths as
          > they are about what goes in --
          > guilt is a very poor motivation
          > for lasting lifestyle change.
          > Direct insight into the karma
          > involved is much more effective,
          > and sudden interjection of
          > guilt mongering into a topic not
          > directly related is usually
          > counterproductive.
          >

          > sean tremblay wrote:
          > > Huh?

        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
            As would the native peoples of
            the arctic and many other places,
            which is one of the reasons why
            treating vegetarianism as
            mandatory is so counterproductive
            -- in a fertile region like the
            subcontinent, it's not surprising
            that it became part of the
            various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
            spiritual traditions, but there
            are entire regions where humans
            must depend on local fauna to
            preprocess the scant available
            nutrition. Of course a truly
            doctrinaire vegetarian would say
            "don't live there!" :-)

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
              Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
              Deborah.

              deborah5552001 wrote:
              > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
              >
              > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
              >
              > Deborah
              >

              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
              > <editor@...> wrote:
              >
              >> That's a pretty popular opinion
              >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
              >> from eating flesh myself, but I
              >> also refrain from judging those
              >> do. Folks who really want to
              >> promote vegetarianism would do
              >> well to be as careful about what
              >> comes out of their mouths as
              >> they are about what goes in --
              >> guilt is a very poor motivation
              >> for lasting lifestyle change.
              >> Direct insight into the karma
              >> involved is much more effective,
              >> and sudden interjection of
              >> guilt mongering into a topic not
              >> directly related is usually
              >> counterproductive.
              >>

              >> sean tremblay wrote:
              >>
              >>> Huh?

            • krishnan sundaram
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
                  <krish_cost@...> wrote:

                  > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                  flesh eater"

                  Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
                  eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
                  reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
                  meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
                  intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
                  seems a bit uncompassionate.
                  Peace and blessings,
                  Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

                  co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
                  > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
                  > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
                  > > Lucile
                  > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
                  > > please
                  > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
                  > > Communication &
                  > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
                  > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
                  > >
                  > > Stanford University Medical Center
                  > > ----------
                  > >
                  > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                  > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                  136540.php>

                  > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
                  > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
                  r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

                  > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

                • Sandeep
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                    <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                    > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                    flesh eater"

                    Which includes the flesh of plants?

                  • sean tremblay
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                      Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                      And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                      Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                        I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me