Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
      Thanks for that Jeff
      I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies, they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
      SSG Tremblay, Sean
      RSIC South
      Team Viper
      APO, AE 09355
      and to the vego-nazi
      The Afghans slaughtered a fresh goat for me last week and we feasted!
      So put your broccoli where your mouth is!

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
        sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for that Jeff
        > I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of
        compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books
        crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies,
        they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
        > SSG Tremblay, Sean
        > RSIC South
        > Team Viper
        > APO, AE 09355

        snip

        Yo Sean,
        I've posted this info elsewhere and sent it out to many others.
        I really think what you are doing is walking the walk and
        not just studying or talking about compassion. I hope this
        excellent effort goes very well.
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
          That's a pretty popular opinion
          on the subcontinent -- I refrain
          from eating flesh myself, but I
          also refrain from judging those
          do. Folks who really want to
          promote vegetarianism would do
          well to be as careful about what
          comes out of their mouths as
          they are about what goes in --
          guilt is a very poor motivation
          for lasting lifestyle change.
          Direct insight into the karma
          involved is much more effective,
          and sudden interjection of
          guilt mongering into a topic not
          directly related is usually
          counterproductive.

          sean tremblay wrote:
          > Huh?

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
            Thanks Bob, I apperciate that very much

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
              Out here in the mountains of Afghanistan, I'd starve to death as a vegitarian!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

                That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

                Deborah

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                  As would the native peoples of
                  the arctic and many other places,
                  which is one of the reasons why
                  treating vegetarianism as
                  mandatory is so counterproductive
                  -- in a fertile region like the
                  subcontinent, it's not surprising
                  that it became part of the
                  various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
                  spiritual traditions, but there
                  are entire regions where humans
                  must depend on local fauna to
                  preprocess the scant available
                  nutrition. Of course a truly
                  doctrinaire vegetarian would say
                  "don't live there!" :-)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                    Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
                    Deborah.

                    deborah5552001 wrote:
                    > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
                    >
                    > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
                    >
                    > Deborah
                    >

                    > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                    > <editor@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> That's a pretty popular opinion
                    >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                    >> from eating flesh myself, but I
                    >> also refrain from judging those
                    >> do. Folks who really want to
                    >> promote vegetarianism would do
                    >> well to be as careful about what
                    >> comes out of their mouths as
                    >> they are about what goes in --
                    >> guilt is a very poor motivation
                    >> for lasting lifestyle change.
                    >> Direct insight into the karma
                    >> involved is much more effective,
                    >> and sudden interjection of
                    >> guilt mongering into a topic not
                    >> directly related is usually
                    >> counterproductive.
                    >>

                    >> sean tremblay wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Huh?

                  • krishnan sundaram
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                      Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
                        <krish_cost@...> wrote:

                        > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                        flesh eater"

                        Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
                        eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
                        reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
                        meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
                        intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
                        seems a bit uncompassionate.
                        Peace and blessings,
                        Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

                        co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
                        > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
                        > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
                        > > Lucile
                        > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
                        > > please
                        > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
                        > > Communication &
                        > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
                        > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
                        > >
                        > > Stanford University Medical Center
                        > > ----------
                        > >
                        > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                        > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                        136540.php>

                        > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
                        > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
                        r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

                        > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

                      • Sandeep
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                          <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                          > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                          flesh eater"

                          Which includes the flesh of plants?

                        • sean tremblay
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                            Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                            And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                            Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                              I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me