Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
      Huh?

      --- On Sat, 1/24/09, krishnan sundaram <krish_cost@...> wrote:
      From: krishnan sundaram <krish_cost@...>
      Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 1:29 AM

      Compassion can never be found in a non-vegetarian.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
        Thanks for that Jeff
        I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies, they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
        SSG Tremblay, Sean
        RSIC South
        Team Viper
        APO, AE 09355
        and to the vego-nazi
        The Afghans slaughtered a fresh goat for me last week and we feasted!
        So put your broccoli where your mouth is!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
          sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for that Jeff
          > I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of
          compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books
          crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies,
          they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
          > SSG Tremblay, Sean
          > RSIC South
          > Team Viper
          > APO, AE 09355

          snip

          Yo Sean,
          I've posted this info elsewhere and sent it out to many others.
          I really think what you are doing is walking the walk and
          not just studying or talking about compassion. I hope this
          excellent effort goes very well.
        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
            That's a pretty popular opinion
            on the subcontinent -- I refrain
            from eating flesh myself, but I
            also refrain from judging those
            do. Folks who really want to
            promote vegetarianism would do
            well to be as careful about what
            comes out of their mouths as
            they are about what goes in --
            guilt is a very poor motivation
            for lasting lifestyle change.
            Direct insight into the karma
            involved is much more effective,
            and sudden interjection of
            guilt mongering into a topic not
            directly related is usually
            counterproductive.

            sean tremblay wrote:
            > Huh?

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
              Thanks Bob, I apperciate that very much

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                Out here in the mountains of Afghanistan, I'd starve to death as a vegitarian!

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                  Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

                  That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

                  Deborah

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                    As would the native peoples of
                    the arctic and many other places,
                    which is one of the reasons why
                    treating vegetarianism as
                    mandatory is so counterproductive
                    -- in a fertile region like the
                    subcontinent, it's not surprising
                    that it became part of the
                    various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
                    spiritual traditions, but there
                    are entire regions where humans
                    must depend on local fauna to
                    preprocess the scant available
                    nutrition. Of course a truly
                    doctrinaire vegetarian would say
                    "don't live there!" :-)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                      Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
                      Deborah.

                      deborah5552001 wrote:
                      > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
                      >
                      > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
                      >
                      > Deborah
                      >

                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                      > <editor@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> That's a pretty popular opinion
                      >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                      >> from eating flesh myself, but I
                      >> also refrain from judging those
                      >> do. Folks who really want to
                      >> promote vegetarianism would do
                      >> well to be as careful about what
                      >> comes out of their mouths as
                      >> they are about what goes in --
                      >> guilt is a very poor motivation
                      >> for lasting lifestyle change.
                      >> Direct insight into the karma
                      >> involved is much more effective,
                      >> and sudden interjection of
                      >> guilt mongering into a topic not
                      >> directly related is usually
                      >> counterproductive.
                      >>

                      >> sean tremblay wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Huh?

                    • krishnan sundaram
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                        Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
                          <krish_cost@...> wrote:

                          > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                          flesh eater"

                          Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
                          eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
                          reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
                          meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
                          intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
                          seems a bit uncompassionate.
                          Peace and blessings,
                          Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

                          co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
                          > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
                          > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
                          > > Lucile
                          > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
                          > > please
                          > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
                          > > Communication &
                          > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
                          > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
                          > >
                          > > Stanford University Medical Center
                          > > ----------
                          > >
                          > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                          > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                          136540.php>

                          > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
                          > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
                          r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

                          > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

                        • Sandeep
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                            <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                            > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                            flesh eater"

                            Which includes the flesh of plants?

                          • sean tremblay
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                              Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                              And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                              Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me