Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • krishnan sundaram
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 23, 2009
      Compassion can never be found in a non-vegetarian.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
        Hi Sean,

        That natural state of compassion
        and connection with other people
        is something I've observed in
        young children as well.

        As examples:

        If you don't mind a ride in
        Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine...

        When a young child I was
        fortunate enough to spend
        a few years with back in
        the 70s was not quite
        2 years old...a couple
        of instances of this
        compassion and connection
        struck me powerful and
        are still fresh in my
        memory:

        We were waiting at the
        airport, and I was holding
        this young boy in my arms.
        His older sister had been
        away for a couple of weeks.
        When she came off the plane
        and into the reception area...

        I was startled to see the
        eyes of this young boy
        tear up upon seeing her.
        It was surprising to me
        that a child so young would
        feel this much intensity
        of emotion, compassion and
        connection. I wouldn't have
        expected that reaction in
        someone so young.

        Secondly, again, while
        holding this same young man:

        We were at a restaurant
        waiting by the counter
        for a table.

        Seated at the counter
        was a man eating a sandwich.

        The young boy leaned over
        as asked, "What are you eating?"

        The man smiled and said,
        "A cheeseburger."

        Obviously feeling a connection,
        and comfortable with the
        concept of sharing,
        the young boy said...

        "Can I have a bite?"

        I still burst out laughing
        whenever that comes to mind.

        Best,

        Jeff

        PS: Are you back in the states?
        Oh, and the man at the counter
        just turned away, without
        offering to share a bite.

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Great article,
        > This is something I would like to know more about. The biology of
        compassion.  As a father I observed that thier is a natural state of
        compassion that we as a species are born with.  baby on solid food
        will want to share with every one around him family and strangers
        alike.  What changes in the brain occur in life that disconnects us
        from our Natural State of being? As a soldier, my concern is what
        changes occur in the brain that causes seemingly normal people to
        commit savage acts, It seems there is a switch to self destruct mode
        that happens in the brain on a collective level, that thier are acts
        that many individuals are capible of commiting in a group setting and
        not individualy. Again what is the neural root of collective insanity?

      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
          Huh?

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
            Thanks for that Jeff
            I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies, they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
            SSG Tremblay, Sean
            RSIC South
            Team Viper
            APO, AE 09355
            and to the vego-nazi
            The Afghans slaughtered a fresh goat for me last week and we feasted!
            So put your broccoli where your mouth is!

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
              sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for that Jeff
              > I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of
              compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books
              crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies,
              they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
              > SSG Tremblay, Sean
              > RSIC South
              > Team Viper
              > APO, AE 09355

              snip

              Yo Sean,
              I've posted this info elsewhere and sent it out to many others.
              I really think what you are doing is walking the walk and
              not just studying or talking about compassion. I hope this
              excellent effort goes very well.
            • Bruce Morgen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                That's a pretty popular opinion
                on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                from eating flesh myself, but I
                also refrain from judging those
                do. Folks who really want to
                promote vegetarianism would do
                well to be as careful about what
                comes out of their mouths as
                they are about what goes in --
                guilt is a very poor motivation
                for lasting lifestyle change.
                Direct insight into the karma
                involved is much more effective,
                and sudden interjection of
                guilt mongering into a topic not
                directly related is usually
                counterproductive.

                sean tremblay wrote:
                > Huh?

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                  Thanks Bob, I apperciate that very much

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                    Out here in the mountains of Afghanistan, I'd starve to death as a vegitarian!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                      Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

                      That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

                      Deborah

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                        As would the native peoples of
                        the arctic and many other places,
                        which is one of the reasons why
                        treating vegetarianism as
                        mandatory is so counterproductive
                        -- in a fertile region like the
                        subcontinent, it's not surprising
                        that it became part of the
                        various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
                        spiritual traditions, but there
                        are entire regions where humans
                        must depend on local fauna to
                        preprocess the scant available
                        nutrition. Of course a truly
                        doctrinaire vegetarian would say
                        "don't live there!" :-)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                          Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
                          Deborah.

                          deborah5552001 wrote:
                          > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
                          >
                          > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
                          >
                          > Deborah
                          >

                          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                          > <editor@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> That's a pretty popular opinion
                          >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                          >> from eating flesh myself, but I
                          >> also refrain from judging those
                          >> do. Folks who really want to
                          >> promote vegetarianism would do
                          >> well to be as careful about what
                          >> comes out of their mouths as
                          >> they are about what goes in --
                          >> guilt is a very poor motivation
                          >> for lasting lifestyle change.
                          >> Direct insight into the karma
                          >> involved is much more effective,
                          >> and sudden interjection of
                          >> guilt mongering into a topic not
                          >> directly related is usually
                          >> counterproductive.
                          >>

                          >> sean tremblay wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Huh?

                        • krishnan sundaram
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                            Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
                              <krish_cost@...> wrote:

                              > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                              flesh eater"

                              Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
                              eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
                              reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
                              meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
                              intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
                              seems a bit uncompassionate.
                              Peace and blessings,
                              Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

                              co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
                              > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
                              > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
                              > > Lucile
                              > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
                              > > please
                              > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
                              > > Communication &
                              > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
                              > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
                              > >
                              > > Stanford University Medical Center
                              > > ----------
                              > >
                              > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                              > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                              136540.php>

                              > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
                              > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
                              r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

                              > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

                            • Sandeep
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                                <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                                > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                                flesh eater"

                                Which includes the flesh of plants?

                              • sean tremblay
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                  Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                                  And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                                  Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                    I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me