Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Center At Stanford To Study Brain's Role In Compassion, Altruism

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 23, 2009
      Great article,
      This is something I would like to know more about. The biology of compassion.  As a father I observed that thier is a natural state of compassion that we as a species are born with.  baby on solid food will want to share with every one around him family and strangers alike.  What changes in the brain occur in life that disconnects us from our Natural State of being? As a soldier, my concern is what changes occur in the brain that causes seemingly normal people to commit savage acts, It seems there is a switch to self destruct mode that happens in the brain on a collective level, that thier are acts that many individuals are capible of commiting in a group setting and not individualy. Again what is the neural root of collective insanity?
      Good topic
      Sean

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 23, 2009
        Compassion can never be found in a non-vegetarian.

        said, include:

[...]

        ----------

        Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 136540.php

      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
          Hi Sean,

          That natural state of compassion
          and connection with other people
          is something I've observed in
          young children as well.

          As examples:

          If you don't mind a ride in
          Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine...

          When a young child I was
          fortunate enough to spend
          a few years with back in
          the 70s was not quite
          2 years old...a couple
          of instances of this
          compassion and connection
          struck me powerful and
          are still fresh in my
          memory:

          We were waiting at the
          airport, and I was holding
          this young boy in my arms.
          His older sister had been
          away for a couple of weeks.
          When she came off the plane
          and into the reception area...

          I was startled to see the
          eyes of this young boy
          tear up upon seeing her.
          It was surprising to me
          that a child so young would
          feel this much intensity
          of emotion, compassion and
          connection. I wouldn't have
          expected that reaction in
          someone so young.

          Secondly, again, while
          holding this same young man:

          We were at a restaurant
          waiting by the counter
          for a table.

          Seated at the counter
          was a man eating a sandwich.

          The young boy leaned over
          as asked, "What are you eating?"

          The man smiled and said,
          "A cheeseburger."

          Obviously feeling a connection,
          and comfortable with the
          concept of sharing,
          the young boy said...

          "Can I have a bite?"

          I still burst out laughing
          whenever that comes to mind.

          Best,

          Jeff

          PS: Are you back in the states?
          Oh, and the man at the counter
          just turned away, without
          offering to share a bite.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
            Huh?

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
              Thanks for that Jeff
              I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies, they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
              SSG Tremblay, Sean
              RSIC South
              Team Viper
              APO, AE 09355
              and to the vego-nazi
              The Afghans slaughtered a fresh goat for me last week and we feasted!
              So put your broccoli where your mouth is!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for that Jeff
                > I'm in Zabul Province Afghanistan, And since we are on the topic of
                compassion I'm collecting things for Afghan kids, coloring books
                crayons, small stuffed animals, warm clothing ect and small candies,
                they like chocolate. They can be sent to:
                > SSG Tremblay, Sean
                > RSIC South
                > Team Viper
                > APO, AE 09355

                snip

                Yo Sean,
                I've posted this info elsewhere and sent it out to many others.
                I really think what you are doing is walking the walk and
                not just studying or talking about compassion. I hope this
                excellent effort goes very well.
              • Bruce Morgen
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                  That's a pretty popular opinion
                  on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                  from eating flesh myself, but I
                  also refrain from judging those
                  do. Folks who really want to
                  promote vegetarianism would do
                  well to be as careful about what
                  comes out of their mouths as
                  they are about what goes in --
                  guilt is a very poor motivation
                  for lasting lifestyle change.
                  Direct insight into the karma
                  involved is much more effective,
                  and sudden interjection of
                  guilt mongering into a topic not
                  directly related is usually
                  counterproductive.

                  sean tremblay wrote:
                  > Huh?

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                    Thanks Bob, I apperciate that very much

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 24, 2009
                      Out here in the mountains of Afghanistan, I'd starve to death as a vegitarian!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                        Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.

                        That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.

                        Deborah

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                          As would the native peoples of
                          the arctic and many other places,
                          which is one of the reasons why
                          treating vegetarianism as
                          mandatory is so counterproductive
                          -- in a fertile region like the
                          subcontinent, it's not surprising
                          that it became part of the
                          various (Hindu, Jain, etc.)
                          spiritual traditions, but there
                          are entire regions where humans
                          must depend on local fauna to
                          preprocess the scant available
                          nutrition. Of course a truly
                          doctrinaire vegetarian would say
                          "don't live there!" :-)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                            Thanks for the kind acknowledgment,
                            Deborah.

                            deborah5552001 wrote:
                            > Well said, Bruce. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
                            >
                            > That kind of judgmental attitude is the very antithesis of compassion.
                            >
                            > Deborah
                            >

                            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                            > <editor@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> That's a pretty popular opinion
                            >> on the subcontinent -- I refrain
                            >> from eating flesh myself, but I
                            >> also refrain from judging those
                            >> do. Folks who really want to
                            >> promote vegetarianism would do
                            >> well to be as careful about what
                            >> comes out of their mouths as
                            >> they are about what goes in --
                            >> guilt is a very poor motivation
                            >> for lasting lifestyle change.
                            >> Direct insight into the karma
                            >> involved is much more effective,
                            >> and sudden interjection of
                            >> guilt mongering into a topic not
                            >> directly related is usually
                            >> counterproductive.
                            >>

                            >> sean tremblay wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Huh?

                          • krishnan sundaram
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
                              Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, krishnan sundaram
                                <krish_cost@...> wrote:

                                > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                                flesh eater"

                                Compassion includeds compassion towards others who
                                eat flesh, be it for health, economic, ignorance, or whatever
                                reason. I do realize that the inscription was probably
                                meant to be a warning or reminder or for some well
                                intended motivation, but its use of "...never..."
                                seems a bit uncompassionate.
                                Peace and blessings,
                                Bob (45 years of being a vegitarian)

                                co.in>/* wrote:

> [...]
                                > > education and patient care at its three institutions - Stanford
                                > > University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and
                                > > Lucile
                                > > Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information,
                                > > please
                                > > visit the Web site of the medical center's Office of
                                > > Communication &
                                > > Public Affairs at http://mednews. stanford. edu.
                                > > <http://mednews. stanford. edu./>
                                > >
                                > > Stanford University Medical Center
                                > > ----------
                                > >
                                > > Article URL: http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                                > > 136540.php <http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/
                                136540.php>

                                > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.
                                > > <http://in.rd. yahoo.com/ tagline_messenge
                                r_6/*http: //messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/>

                                > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

                              • Sandeep
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009

                                  <krish_cost@ ...> wrote:

                                  > Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a
                                  flesh eater"

                                  Which includes the flesh of plants?

                                • sean tremblay
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                    Well that settles it then.  some guy in some temple carved something in stone!  Done and Done!
                                    And by that line of reason the Isreali settlers have every right to displace and or kill palistinians, and if the talib's want to stone people well then what is written is Right or write?

                                    Inscription in an Indian temple "compassion can never come to a flesh eater"

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
                                      I personaly don't care what a person eats (exept canibles and my pets, gotta draw a line somewhere) And as far as the temple goes it's just carved rock to me