Street Wisdom

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009
      Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to
      their level then beat you with experience
    • Bruce Morgen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009
        medit8ionsociety wrote:
        > Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to
        > their level then beat you with experience

        Old Russian proverb:

        "Never wrestle with a pig --
        you'll both get very dirty
        but only the pig will enjoy
        it."
      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009
          Old Afghan Proverb
          "If you can tie a knot with both hands, why use your mouth?"

          > Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to
          > their level then beat you with experience

          Old Russian proverb:

          "Never wrestle with a pig --
          you'll both get very dirty
          but only the pig will enjoy
          it."

        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009
            "When the heart speaks, take good notes."

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009
              Yo Sean,
              I think that this "oldie but goodie" might just
              be on a different "higher" level than the pig or idiot
              adages. There are multiple teachings within its
              semi-obvious message of walking the walk and
              not just talking the talk that is also the wisdom
              that Gurdjieff among others shared...that we
              often use the wrong "center" to do what other
              centers (IE: Emotional, Mental and Physical
              centers) should be doing. For instance, if we have to
              do a physical task, like moving a heavy object,
              we tend to also have mental chatter about it
              going on, perhaps like "oh, poor me for having
              to risk injury doing this" and then we may also
              get emotionally upset. And of course, using our
              Mental and Emotional centers in this situation is
              just a waste of energy because what is needed
              to do something physical is just our Physical center.
              The pig and idiot sharings also have other inward
              instructions intended to elevate our Self knowledge
              (or whatever similar words you prefer), as do many
              fairy tales, "old wives tales", and other similar ancient
              (and modern) teaching tales. Placing ones Self in the
              Witness position and simply watching the events of our
              lives flow by as they occur, without commentary or
              reactivity presents things, like this type of wisdom
              revealing how we squander energy, very clearly. And
              eventually or suddenly one tends to do it less
              and less, and then we retain and even gain energy
              as the show that is our life goes on. And that's just
              one aspect of what these type tales are all about.
              And as so many "Words! Words! Words!" I've just
              posted show, it's probably most easy to chatter on
              about things, so let's stop now and start Witnessing
              our lives, and when good teachings like these pass by,
              simply suck their richness up, smile, and be available
              for the next one to come. The universe will always make
              something available to benefit us if we are mind-full
              and awake to Realize it. And when we are, we will
              live happily ever after.
              sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Old Afghan Proverb
              > "If you can tie a knot with both hands, why use your mouth?"

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009
                Indeed!

                I think that this "oldie but goodie" might just
                be on a different "higher" level than the pig or idiot
                adages. There are multiple teachings within its
                semi-obvious message of walking the walk and
                not just talking the talk that is also the wisdom
                that Gurdjieff among others shared...that we
                often use the wrong "center" to do what other
                centers (IE: Emotional, Mental and Physical
                centers) should be doing. For instance, if we have to
                do a physical task, like moving a heavy object,
                we tend to also have mental chatter about it
                going on, perhaps like "oh, poor me for having
                to risk injury doing this" and then we may also
                get emotionally upset. And of course, using our
                Mental and Emotional centers in this situation is
                just a waste of energy because what is needed
                to do something physical is just our Physical center.
                The pig and idiot sharings also have other inward
                instructions intended to elevate our Self knowledge
                (or whatever similar words you prefer), as do many
                fairy tales, "old wives tales", and other similar ancient
                (and modern) teaching tales. Placing ones Self in the
                Witness position and simply watching the events of our
                lives flow by as they occur, without commentary or
                reactivity presents things, like this type of wisdom
                revealing how we squander energy, very clearly. And
                eventually or suddenly one tends to do it less
                and less, and then we retain and even gain energy
                as the show that is our life goes on. And that's just
                one aspect of what these type tales are all about.
                And as so many "Words! Words! Words!" I've just
                posted show, it's probably most easy to chatter on
                about things, so let's stop now and start Witnessing
                our lives, and when good teachings like these pass by,
                simply suck their richness up, smile, and be available
                for the next one to come. The universe will always make
                something available to benefit us if we are mind-full
                and awake to Realize it. And when we are, we will
                live happily ever after.
                sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                > Old Afghan Proverb
                > "If you can tie a knot with both hands, why use your mouth?"

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009
                  Agreed