Pleasant Meditation Distraction Traps

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2009
      The more you meditate, the more meditation
      can become the most interesting thing you
      ever and never imagined. This is because
      your mind will present incredible things
      to distract you in its effort to remain your
      master, and you its slave. There is a scientific
      reality and perspective that states that we
      are not what our limited senses perceive. For
      instance, we aren't "really" solid. It just
      seems that way because that's the way our
      eyes work. We are atomic and pre-atomic energy
      in motion. If we had Electron Microscope and
      Hubbell telescope quality vision, it would be
      apparent that we are infinite in nature and
      taking part in a never-ending interaction
      with everything everywhere. We are not lone
      drops apart from the ocean, but rather a part
      of the ocean. Initially, your mind may be able
      to distract you by something as simple as an
      itch, a memory, a feeling of happiness, etc.
      But as you get steadier in your meditation, and
      don't react to your sense perceptions, memories,
      emotions, and so on, your mind will loose its
      grip, and reality will present itself. And you
      will feel, see, and know the awe of transcendent
      in-sight. Often, your mind will then try to
      distract you, and regain the mastery over you,
      by letting you see increasingly spectacular and
      sometimes even divine visions, and have more and
      more seemingly evolving understandings. That
      awareness within, that is ever-present, and
      silently perceives all the changes your mind,
      body, and emotions put you through is your inner
      Witness, and that is your Real Self. Your mind's
      game plan is to keep you in a state of
      "Gee Whiz!!!" and not recognize what is ever
      before you, and that is your oneness with your
      Witness and its oneness with all and everything.
      Realization comes from Grace and Grace alone.
      It is not a byproduct of meditation, but there
      may be no better way to remove the obstacles
      that delay this awakening than meditation. So,
      enjoy the inner and outer light shows, the
      transcendent sounds, sensational physical
      sensations, and so on, but don't get caught in
      the "seeking after more and more spectacular
      versions of them" trap. The first two steps
      in meditation are dispassion and discrimination.
      Seek what is eternal, not transitory; the
      essence, not the superficial. This is
      discrimination. And don't get wound up with
      too much jubilation when you have beautiful
      visions, or disappointment when you don't.
      This is dispassion. Sit in meditation without
      expectation. Simply Witness. When not sitting
      in meditation, witness your life as an ongoing
      meditation. Persevere. The universe and its
      source and support will presently present you
      with the ultimate present. And You will be
      present. And you will live happily ever after.

      This article first appeared in our newsletter
      The Inner Traveler issue #9