Selflessness -- Core Of All Major World Religions -- Has Neuropsychological Conn

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
      Selflessness -- Core Of All Major World Religions --
      Has Neuropsychological Connection
      All spiritual experiences are based in the brain.
      That statement is truer than ever before, according
      to a University of Missouri neuropsychologist. An
      MU study has data to support a neuropsychological
      model that proposes spiritual experiences associated
      with selflessness are related to decreased activity
      in the right parietal lobe of the brain.
      The study is one of the first to use individuals with
      traumatic brain injury to determine this connection.
      Researchers say the implication of this connection
      means people in many disciplines, including peace
      studies, health care or religion can learn different
      ways to attain selflessness, to experience transcendence,
      and to help themselves and others.
      This study, along with other recent neuroradiological
      studies of Buddhist meditators and Francescan nuns,
      suggests that all individuals, regardless of cultural
      background or religion, experience the same
      neuropsychological functions during spiritual experiences,
      such as transcendence. Transcendence, feelings of universal
      unity and decreased sense of self, is a core tenet of
      all major religions. Meditation and prayer are the
      primary vehicles by which such spiritual transcendence
      is achieved.
      "The brain functions in a certain way during spiritual
      experiences," said Brick Johnstone, professor of health
      psychology in the MU School of Health Professions.
      "We studied people with brain injury and found that
      people with injuries to the right parietal lobe of
      the brain reported higher levels of spiritual experiences,
      such as transcendence."
      This link is important, Johnstone said, because it
      means selflessness can be learned by decreasing activity
      in that part of the brain. He suggests this can be
      done through conscious effort, such as meditation or
      prayer. People with these selfless spiritual experiences
      also are more psychologically healthy, especially if
      they have positive beliefs that there is a God or higher
      power who loves them, Johnstone said.
      "This research also addresses questions regarding
      the impact of neurologic versus cultural factors on
      spiritual experience," Johnstone said. "The ability
      to connect with things beyond the self, such as
      transcendent experiences, seems to occur for people
      who minimize right parietal functioning. This can be
      attained through cultural practices, such as intense
      meditation or prayer or because of a brain injury
      that impairs the functioning of the right parietal
      lobe. Either way, our study suggests that `selflessness'
      is a neuropsychological foundation of spiritual
      experiences."
      The research was funded by the MU Center on Religion
      and the Professions. The study – "Support for a
      neuropsychological model of spirituality in persons
      with traumatic brain injury" – was published in the
      peer-reviewed journal Zygon.
      "Our research focused on the personal experience
      of spiritual transcendence and does not in any way
      minimize the importance of religion or personal
      beliefs, nor does it suggest that spiritual experience
      are related only to neuropsychological activity in
      the brain," Johnstone said. "It is important to note
      that individuals experience their God or higher power
      in many different ways, but that all people from all
      religions and beliefs appear to experience these
      connections in a similar way."
      Journal reference:
      1. Johnstone et al. SUPPORT FOR A NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL
      MODEL OF SPIRITUALITY IN PERSONS WITH TRAUMATIC BRAIN
      INJURY. Zygon(r), 2008; 43 (4): 861 DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-
      9744.2008.00964.x
      Adapted from materials provided by University of
      Missouri-Columbia.
      APA

      MLA
      University of Missouri-Columbia (2008, December 22).
      Selflessness -- Core Of All Major World Religions --
      Has Neuropsychological Connection. ScienceDaily.
      Retrieved December 29, 2008, from
      http://www.sciencedaily.com¬ /releases/2008/12/081217124156.htm
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
        Thanks, Bob. This video has
        been around for a while and
        many may have seen it. It is
        about a brain issue and
        stroke that led to a spiritual
        experience. Beautifully presented.

        www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
          "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Bob. This video has
          > been around for a while and
          > many may have seen it. It is
          > about a brain issue and
          > stroke that led to a spiritual
          > experience. Beautifully presented.
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

          Yo Papajeff,
          I had never seen this video before and doubt
          I will ever forget it (unless a stroke makes that
          premise implausible). What an interesting
          explanation of who we are and what's going on!
          Thanks for the turn-on!

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Bob. This video has
            > > been around for a while and
            > > many may have seen it. It is
            > > about a brain issue and
            > > stroke that led to a spiritual
            > > experience. Beautifully presented.
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
            >
            > Yo Papajeff,
            > I had never seen this video before and doubt
            > I will ever forget it (unless a stroke makes that
            > premise implausible). What an interesting
            > explanation of who we are and what's going on!
            > Thanks for the turn-on!
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            <snip>

            Hi Bob,

            I show this video at all
            seminars I present. It's
            always a show-stopper.

            YouTube has a neat set up.
            When a video is downloaded
            from YouTube to a web site,
            they include "links" to
            similar videos. If you
            want to sample it, check
            out my intro and at the
            end of listening to me
            for a couple of minutes
            (for your sins), you'll
            see mini-screens at the
            bottom. These are direct
            links to various meditation
            videos.

            http://www.livingatwow.com

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
              <snip>
              > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@> wrote:
              >
              > Hi Bob,
              >
              > I show this video at all
              > seminars I present. It's
              > always a show-stopper.
              >
              > YouTube has a neat set up.
              > When a video is downloaded
              > from YouTube to a web site,
              > they include "links" to
              > similar videos. If you
              > want to sample it, check
              > out my intro and at the
              > end of listening to me
              > for a couple of minutes
              > (for your sins), you'll
              > see mini-screens at the
              > bottom. These are direct
              > links to various meditation
              > videos.
              >
              > http://www.livingatwow.com
              >
              > Jeff

              Yo PapaJeff,
              Actually, almost all 15 of the video's
              that were offered were about hypnosis.
              I thought that perhaps this is a changing
              situation that alternates between
              meditation and hypnosis. I did check
              at different times, but for now, it's
              all hypnosis. BTW, Your video is very
              interesting and compelling.
            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...>
                wrote:

                > <snip>
                > > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Bob,
                > >
                > > I show this video at all
                > > seminars I present. It's
                > > always a show-stopper.
                > >
                > > YouTube has a neat set up.
                > > When a video is downloaded
                > > from YouTube to a web site,
                > > they include "links" to
                > > similar videos. If you
                > > want to sample it, check
                > > out my intro and at the
                > > end of listening to me
                > > for a couple of minutes
                > > (for your sins), you'll
                > > see mini-screens at the
                > > bottom. These are direct
                > > links to various meditation
                > > videos.
                > >
                > > http://www.livingatwow.com
                > >
                > > Jeff
                >
                > Yo PapaJeff,
                > Actually, almost all 15 of the video's
                > that were offered were about hypnosis.
                > I thought that perhaps this is a changing
                > situation that alternates between
                > meditation and hypnosis. I did check
                > at different times, but for now, it's
                > all hypnosis. BTW, Your video is very