Buddha and Cow Dung

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      The famous Chinese poet Su Tung-po (1036-1100)
      in the Song Dynasty wrote very simple Chinese
      Poems based on Buddhist Philosophy, as he
      himself was a very religious person. He was
      appointed to the position of the Director of
      Literature in the Imperial Court.
      One day he visited a Buddhist Temple and meditated
      with the Monk Buddhastamp. After a little while,
      Su asked the Monk: "Look at me, Venerable. I am
      sitting here meditating. What do I look like?"
      Buddhastamp examined Su closely for a while and
      said, "Officer, you are very solemn, radiant and
      gentle. You look like a Buddha Stature." Su was
      very pleased and elated with the answer.
      After a while, Buddhastamp asked Su, "Officer, I am
      sitting here meditating also. What do I look like?"
      Mr. Su thought for sometime, this Monk has always
      had the upper hand whenever we debated on any subjects.
      Now, I have the opportunity to beat him. So, he replied,
      "You look like a heap of cow dung, Venerable." On hearing
      this, the Monk simply smiled and did not argue with
      him at all.
      Thinking that he had won the debate, Mr. Su went
      about telling everybody in town how he triumphed
      over the monk, until his younger sister heard of it
      and enlightened him, "My dear brother, you had lost
      the debate completely."
      "What!? I am very sure the Monk was fooled this time.
      Why do you say so?"
      "Dear brother," said Miss Su, "the Monk's heart was
      filled with Buddha nature, therefore he saw you as
      a Buddha. But your heart was filled with cow dung,
      and therefore you saw him as a heap of cow dung."