You Must Make An Effort To Attain The Effortless Realization

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2008
      A somewhat long but full of wisdom article
      that was typically shared by Swami Chidananda,
      the long-time President of the Sivananda
      Ashram and it's mission.

      The Paradox of God -Realisation

      Radiant Immortal Atman! Beloved children of
      the Divine! You who are jijnasus searching
      for knowledge that enlightens and wisdom that
      liberates, you who are mumukshus yearning for
      liberation, liberation from ignorance, darkness
      and bondage, from finite limitations, know this
      truth: that though God-realisation, or the
      supreme state of liberation and illumination,
      is not the product of karma, is not the result
      of an act or the fruit of a certain process or
      exertion, but it is nitya prapta avastha (eternally
      attained state), nija svarupa (one's own true
      nature), nevertheless, precisely in order to become
      convinced of this, to know this intellectually,
      to develop faith and belief in this truth, and
      to realise this as an experience, one's own
      personal experience, tremendous effort is necessary.
      Action is called for and that action is called sadhana.

      Vedanta siddhanta (philosophy) says that the
      supreme experience, the realisation of the Absolute,
      is not the result of karma, because if anything
      is the product of an action, it means there was
      a time when it did not exist and it has since
      come into being. The grain harvested by the
      farmer did not originally exist upon the field.
      It was through his labour—ploughing, sowing,
      watering, weeding—that ultimately the field
      yielded a harvest. The harvest is relative.
      It is related to something else and is limited
      in time and space; it is related to a cause.
      Whereas the Absolute is not related to anything.
      It is the causeless cause of all things; it is
      beginningless and endless, unlimited.

      Therefore Vedanta siddhanta declares: "Even
      continuous activity carried on for hundreds of
      crores of births will not be effective in bringing
      about brahma-jnana, precisely because the Absolute
      does not come under the confines or the limitations
      of a cause and effect phenomenon, an action and
      the fruit of action process."

      You cannot become something which you already
      are. It makes no sense. You cannot become something
      which you eternally are, which you have never been
      not at any time in eternity. Anything that was not
      and is brought into being will also become once
      again not, it will go out of being. That is the
      defect if it is the end product of any process.
      It becomes subject to the law of causation. There
      is no up and down in Self-realisation. It is always
      full, never changes, never alters.

      But, nevertheless, the one thing all Gurus insist
      upon to attain Self-realisation is act, act, act,
      ceaseless sadhana, ceaseless struggle, ceaseless
      endeavour, do this, do that. Nothing illustrates
      it better than the extremely strenuous effort put
      forth by the Zen meditator in order to attain satori.
      Unbelievable, incredible, how they have to exert
      and break their head for hours and hours together
      engaged in inner meditation. They struggle, break
      out in perspiration; some even collapse from the
      intensity of effort.

      Our revered Sri Swami Brahmanandaji Maharaj wrote
      a treatise called Revelation of the Ever-Revealed.
      If it is ever revealed wherein comes effort? What
      is the truth in the juxtaposition of two contradictory
      statements both from the highest authority of the
      scriptures and from realised beings?

      Is it paradoxical? Do the Gurus go contrary to
      the declaration of Vedanta siddhanta, to the ultimate
      thesis of Vedanta? There is no paradox. The Vedanta
      siddhanta is true. It is not the result of effort.
      But strenuous effort, life-long effort is required.
      Totapuri, the Guru who gave advaita jnana upadesa
      to Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, is known to have
      told him that he struggled hard for forty years
      before he could attain realisation.

      Sadhana means effort, purushartha. The simple fact
      is that without sadhana God-realisation is impossible.
      Without earnest, sustained, continuous effort
      combined with great interest and enthusiasm,
      realisation is impossible. Maharshi Patanjali
      declared: "Sustained, continuous sadhana for a
      long period of time, with keen interest and enthusiasm,
      brings about results." It is absolutely true. It
      is necessary. This sadhana, this effort, is necessary
      not to attain Self-realisation, which is an ever-present
      experience, but to remove all that stands in the
      way between you and that ever-present experience,
      to remove the covering of ignorance that hides it
      from being experienced.

      A person in poverty sitting in a miserable hut is
      told by a spiritual personality endowed with
      intuition: "All your poverty can vanish, for there
      is a buried treasure twelve feet beneath the place
      where you are sitting, right here in the centre
      of this hut." Now, the treasure is right there. It
      has not been created, it has not been brought into
      being. But will it make any difference to this man's
      poverty, will it buy him a morsel of food notwithstanding
      the fact that the treasure is already there, it is
      inside the boundaries of his hut, he is sitting over it?

      No. He will have to start digging, straining
      every limb, wiping perspiration. He has to exert,
      dig and dig and dig. The treasure may be there,
      but he is the same poor man until he digs and digs
      and penetrates the twelve feet of earth. Even if
      he has dug eleven feet, eleven inches, he is still
      the same poor man. It is only when he has gone the
      full twelve feet that he is able to put his hand
      on the treasure and lift it up. Then alone his
      poverty vanishes and he is wealthy beyond his
      dreams. Exertion alone allowed him to attain the
      treasure. Exertion alone could bring him into
      living contact with what already existed in all its fullness.

      This is the way you can understand the necessity
      of exertion to attain that which is already there
      in close proximity. Tulsidas says: "You can create
      a blaze of fire from a block of ice, you can squeeze
      dry sand and make oil drip out of it, but this is
      sure, without sadhana, without worship, without
      adoration, you can never cross this ocean of samsara."
      This rule will never vary—therefore, exertion,
      exertion, exertion, sadhana, sadhana, sadhana.

      "Do real sadhana my dear children," sang Gurudev.
      Upon the spiritual path a happy-go-lucky temperament
      is no good. Laziness is no good. Vain excuses for
      not doing sadhana are no good. And fanciful notions
      that without sadhana you can get realisation are
      no good. Sadhana is the one thing necessary; effort
      is indispensable. Through effort you attain that
      which needs no effort to actually be experienced.
      But effort is needed to remove all that is
      intervening without and within.

      Thus understand your life, your present need, and
      the ultimate Goal in this light. Be true to your
      name sadhak. Engage in spiritual sadhana. Do not
      allow lethargy to overcome you; do not allow
      cynicism to develop. Every act of sadhana is
      valuable if it is done with a spirit of surrender,
      with a spirit of being an instrument through whom
      God is gracious enough to get these things done.
      Selfless service, meditation, japa, reflection,
      viveka, vichara—all this is sadhana. Always feel:
      "Blessed am I to be the instrument on which the
      Divine is playing in the form of spiritual sadhana."

      Thus stand apart, and with humility, in a spirit
      of dedication, engage in vigorous sadhana, never
      allowing fatalism to overcome your spirit, never
      allowing doubt to stand in your way. Doubt should
      be rent asunder with the sword of determination,
      wisdom, common sense, intelligence. Never allowing
      any of these dire negative states to even approach
      your mind, consciousness, vigorously moving forward,
      with enthusiasm, engage in spiritual sadhana! This
      is the great necessity! This is the great good!
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
        Thanks, Bob.

        Maharaji Prem Rawat made the point
        succinctly with, "Effort precedes grace."

        Whew, for the rain. Go Rays.

        Tampa Bay Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
          "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Bob.
          >
          > Maharaji Prem Rawat made the point
          > succinctly with, "Effort precedes grace."
          >
          > Whew, for the rain. Go Rays.
          >
          > Tampa Bay Jeff

          Yo Papajeff,
          There was no Ray of sunshine in that game, but
          the rain surely brought one to Tampa fans. I of
          course expect the Phils to win tomorrow and end
          the 28 year championship wait we've suffered
          with here. And with the birds now playing at
          close to full strength, it gives hope for a dual
          parade at this time of this Yuga. But...although in
          the eternal now, we know that just witnessing the
          events of life as they take place is the only
          "real" way to deal in and with Reality, getting into
          following sports and philosophizing about their possible
          turns of events is quite an interesting/enticing way
          to be grounded in this material world, and it seems to
          have a value... It's fun and fun is usually happy,
          and there's nothing wrong with that spiritually.
          (OK - does this justify the off-topic fan stuff!)
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
            wrote:

            > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Bob.
            > >
            > > Maharaji Prem Rawat made the point
            > > succinctly with, "Effort precedes grace."
            > >
            > > Whew, for the rain. Go Rays.
            > >
            > > Tampa Bay Jeff
            > >
            > Yo Papajeff,
            > There was no Ray of sunshine in that game, but
            > the rain surely brought one to Tampa fans. I of
            > course expect the Phils to win tomorrow and end
            > the 28 year championship wait we've suffered
            > with here. And with the birds now playing at
            > close to full strength, it gives hope for a dual
            > parade at this time of this Yuga. But...although in
            > the eternal now, we know that just witnessing the
            > events of life as they take place is the only
            > "real" way to deal in and with Reality, getting into
            > following sports and philosophizing about their possible
            > turns of events is quite an interesting/enticing way
            > to be grounded in this material world, and it seems to
            > have a value... It's fun and fun is usually happy,
            > and there's nothing wrong with that spiritually.
            > (OK - does this justify the off-topic fan stuff!)
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            Hey, Bob -

            Yes, any activity that involves a sphere,
            spinning and soaring through space
            makes for a wonderful meditative yantra,
            an apt metaphor for spiritual
            soaring, analogous to blissball on
            which we live, and therefore, on topic.

            The Phillie's may do a 9th Avenue
            Freeze Out on the Rays, but I don't
            think McNabb can do the advaita
            shuffle all season. A nondual realization
            is more likely .

            Jeff